The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (fonz8261, Oswald), 157 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,337
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#166069 05/10/2007 5:23 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,154
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,154
Hi...I would like to purchase a set of arm rests for my 1954 3100 of course I would like OEM but have not found any so my next best bet is asking you lot what luck have you had with repro ones? Alan Horvarth purchased a set of repos and they were so cheap he chucked them and made his own....who, what, and where would be the best place to purchase from. I know one of you guys must have purchase a set that you are happy with....I hope! THANKS, Steve :confused:

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 15
1
Apprentice
Apprentice
1 Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 15
...I've seen some NOS ones pop up on Ebay. Even though they're brown, and I need blue, when I'm at that point, I will buy the NOS ones and have my local upholster alter them!

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I am please with mine. I bought them from Jim Carter because I wanted them to match side panels and seat upholstery. They look like the ones I've seen in original documents and they look like to one worn-out original one that I had (I sold it). Who knows if they are still buying from the same supplier (I bought mine about 5 years ago)?

Remember, when these trucks came out, the parts were designed for work vehicles, even if you had all the deluxe options installed.

Let me know if you want a photo posted.

Tim

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
I bought a set from Old Chevy Duty....the quality wasn't bad as far as the fit. However, the stains that come from normal use will not come out. Have tried scrubbling bubbles....if that and regular vinyl cleaner won't work I'm at loss for a cleaning solution.

I use the truck on a daily basis and sometimes forget my "white gloves". Haven't had this problem with any other vinyl I've run into. Will shoot on some vinyl spray and try for a re-tint.
BTW...they were light gray in color, dull in finish, and the vinyl seems to be unusually porous, almost like suede.

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
I got my armrests from Chevy Duty over five years ago, and I matched the panels, headliner and sun visors with the same material. Here is a pic.

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
I bought the blue armrests for the blue deluxe interior from Jim Carter's but in all honesty, I think they are too dark. They do not seem to be a close match to the darker blue interior paint color. I intend to have them recovered to match upholstery when the time comes.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
I got mine from Chevy Duty and have been pleased withthem except I felt they were kind of pricey for what they are. I was able to buy matching seat cover material for my door panels and the arm rests. My wife did the upholstery work and it looks great.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
It's the plastic mounts, on the bottom side of the armrests, that I found to be miserably thin and flimsy. The tops are nice enough.

I recovered the tops with elk and fabricated new mounts out of red oak which I also covered with elk:
See Here


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,154
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,154
THANKS for your help! Steve

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Just roll down the window and stick your arm out. That is the old timey way.

Saves on bickering and hard feelings.


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Were the original arm rests solid plastic or was there a pressed metal frame with a plastic cover cast over it?
I have seen arm rests where the frame and bottom plastic trim was screwed to the door and the pad was screwed in from the bottom of the frame and could be removed for replacement or to be recovered.
Any body seen any like this?
I'm envisioning the possibility of bending an angle with a bottom cover maybe of cast epoxy and an upholstered pad for the top.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0