The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 116 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,541
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
I have a crank out window in my 46. The problem is I think it's going to the last round up in the sky. Who do you recomend buying a unit from?

Does this unit have some kind of rubber friction device, because I notice no cogs or teeth on the bar that pushes out the window.

How hard is it to replace?

Dan Mascheck
Wharton, TX

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Hi Dan,

I would recommend Ebay. They have originals occationally, including one currently I believe. It doesn't use rubber. It does have a cog with very widely spaced teeth. The stainless "arm" that pushes the window out, curved so it will hold it's shape, but somewhat flexible also, has widely spaced wholes that accept the teeth. It is pretty easy to install excepting rusty screws. Just get a whole unit, including the pusher "arm". Then just bolt under the dash, and attach the arm to the windshield with two screws...easy.

Make sure any auction advertises good teeth and drive units. I'm sure they can be found new from the truck guys, I think, but some good originals still out there from my Ebay hours smile


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
Ok, Ebay is fine, but what do you call it to do the search for the item?

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
When I'm hunting I always start with 194*(the astrisk will get anything in that spot) so essentially that gets you all of the fortys.
Add to that: windshield crank. Get creative and you may find one with another search. just depends how the person listed it also. What I have given above will produce one currently.
BTW, they seem to be bringing between 60 and 80 for a pretty nice complete unit (or as I remember), so let that weigh in as you consider a bid. One last thought, I think 41-47 early will work, all the same. Good luck.


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Upon visiting this auction, it looks a little dead also. keep watching. I always seem to see one listed as I'm looking thru parts.


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
I have had good service from " bowtiebits ", or perhaps Jum Carter Truck Parts. I think the piece is called a " windshield regulator ", or crank assembly ?


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
I have had good service from " bowtiebits ", or perhaps Jim Carter Truck Parts. I think the piece is called a " windshield regulator ", or crank assembly ?


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
Thanks for the help. I will keep looking on Ebay, but will look at the site you told me about!!

I assume they are all reconditioned? There are no new ones?

Dan

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 200
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 200
New ones are at the truck part sites in the links here at TSP.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 507
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 507
Dan, most of the ones offered are repaired units, I don't know of anyone who sells a replacement Regulator. Your unit MUST be rebuildable to get a new one. I will look and see if I can find the info on a source. Again they do come up every now and then on Ebay but they are on the Big Buck side. Most of the time the pot metal drive gear for the windshield strip is worn smooth. Would be nice if some one would make a replacement gear for them.


"If it ain't Steel it ain't Real"
"Earth the insane aslyum for the rest of the Universe"
41 1/2-ton, a work in progress
68 Shortbed stepside 327/325hp/700R4
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
There's another just poped up on EBay


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
I don't have a problem if it can be fixed. When you screw it down it will hold shut, but now it will not open the window. I can push the window out and it seems to hold unless you have a big gust of wind or a gravel truck goes by.

I notice holes in the extension rod, but they are sure far apart. Hard for me to see how a cog with teeth or spikes can fit the holes so far apart! I wish I could see an exploeded version of it somewhere.

What happens if yours can't be repaired?

Thanks!

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
You say in the links page. There are many links and I have looked at many. All I have found was the rebuilt ones. Can you narrow it down for me please?

Dan

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Dan, I think it's time to pull yours out to get the best possible exploded view. Maybe yours can be fixed at that point, or it will be out for a replacement. You will also be able to see how the cog/holes work with it out.


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
I would like to pull it our to look at it, but it is a tight squeeze and I don't know how it's attached! I keep wishing I could see an explosed view, so I knew what I'm doing? I don't want to screw something up. I also have the truck in teh shop having the rear end recentered! A long story!

I have AC in the truck, so again it's a bit tight! I would like to fix the crank! It's nice to have the windshield open on a nice cool fall day with a slight breeze blowing through the truck!

Dan

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Dan, give these guys a call, just found a few old items from them. Ask for BILL! They run a full page ad in VCCA's NL.
**** Moffitt's Chevy Parts Springfield, OH
Ph. 937 325-7861

Good luck
Jim


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
Jim,

I will call them tomorrow. Do you know if they have a website?

Dan

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Dan, I don't believe they have a web site or email, sounds like they are way to busy to fool with any of that high tech stuff. Appears they have a wherehouse full of stuff, sounded on the phone, they were climbing ladders etc scurrying around finding my OLD stuff. Nice guys.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
Jim I'll give the a call tomorrow. I wish they were closer, but service is everything to me!

Dan

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Hey Dan, tight squeeze yes, but easy with the exception of some pretty tightly rusted bolts. You don't have to dissassemble it in the truck, just take loose the bolts (2) that attach the bracket to the windshield, and the crank to dash bolts. Should fall right out (oh and handle but that goes without saying) smile


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try when I get the truck back!

Dan

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 85
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 85
Dan,
If you don't have any luck, give Tom Myers Truck
Parts in Miami Ok a call. I've bought a lot of
parts for my 46 (sold)from him. Good parts and
good price. He has lots of trucks. Phone
918-542-3871 Tell him Ed in New Orleans said hello.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/352489004WcrToY

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
I'll give him a call today! Nice truck!

Thanks

Dan


Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0