The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (IHPWR, David Bush, Gdads51), 130 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,472
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#163723 12/02/2005 1:33 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 48
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 48
I'm restoring a 51 1/2 ton 5-window that is pretty much in original condition. However, need info on I.D. of interior cab color. Bench and side door panels are brown. Existing paint is sort of a bronze, or "champagne" color. Do you know name of this paint and where I can buy it? Thanks.

#163724 12/02/2005 7:34 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 212
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 212
I'm not certain, but I think Chevs of the 40's has the paint you want. I ordered a quart of interior paint for my 53 from them, but it is possible the 51 would be different. I'm not sure.

I didn't use the paint I ordered. I think it was probably the proper color, but I didn't like it and went with a color combination of my own. I wasn't going for a 100 percent correct restoration, so I said what the heck, when people were still using the truck on a daily basis no one paid any attention to what color they used, the just put what they liked on, so why not do the same now. Allen

#163725 12/02/2005 1:26 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 200
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 200
Kenz,
I am restoring a '51 1/2 ton too. According to Bob Adler here are the colors and codes: 1947-52 Interior is called Interior Slate Grey but it looks brown metallic, code is (ppg library)DDL3613 or DCC5558. Also DuP C8306. Add flattener.

The steering wheel, column, and gearshift remote control are DuPont DuP 8540.

I hop this helps.

Mark


1951 Chevy 3100
Some days you get the bear. Some days the bear gets you.
#163726 12/03/2005 1:56 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 48
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 48
51Bolt and Bakerallen:

Geezzzz, you guys are great. Thanks for the input. I'm sure there will be more questions as I proceed. Weather here in Jersey is getting pretty cold and windy so I guess I'll have to crank up the old space heater for the garage. We havin' fun yet??? You Bet!!

#163727 12/06/2005 12:19 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 267
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 267
on a 53 chevy panel is the color the same as the trucks i have one that is grey orginal and one that is the champange color thanks tom


I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
#163728 12/06/2005 2:14 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 709
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 709
And be aware of carbon monoxide buid up out there in the garage.


Bruce
Old Toy: Ol' Betsy stock 59 Apache SB Stepside (Gone but not Forgotten)
New Toy: 1962 Impala SS Coupe
The Driver: 1990 Toyota truck
#163729 12/06/2005 3:00 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 48
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 48
Q: This has to do with replacement or coverup of rusted interior cowl kick panels. Catalogs give me two options: a)Replace with metal, or b)cover up with cardboard panels. Some questions:
1. If I replace with metal, can I get away with putting them over existing rusted panels or do I have to cut out old ones? Also, catalog pictures show them as being fairly flat with no real contour. Do they have to be shaped, especially where they meet up with the floor?
2. How do you install the cardboard ones? The catalog postings say nothing about an "installation kit," so do you just glue or screw them in right over the existing rusted panels?

I can't believe how much I don't know.....and I'm just getting started. UUggg!

#163730 12/06/2005 3:03 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 48
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 48
Q: This has to do with replacement or coverup of rusted interior cowl kick panels. Catalogs give me two options: a)Replace with metal, or b)cover up with cardboard panels. Some questions:
1. If I replace with metal, can I get away with putting them over existing rusted panels or do I have to cut out old ones? Also, catalog pictures show them as being fairly flat with no real contour. Do they have to be shaped, especially where they meet up with the floor?
2. How do you install the cardboard ones? The catalog postings say nothing about an "installation kit," so do you just glue or screw them in right over the existing rusted panels?

I can't believe how much I don't know.....and I'm just getting started. UUggg!

#163731 12/07/2005 3:06 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
I'd cut out the bad metal. Rust only spreads.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0