The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jay R, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 79 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,684
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#163209 06/30/2005 6:35 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 170
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 170
I went to my upholster today to see how things are going. I had dropped a seat off that I had purchased for a complete rebuild.
He said that he had bad news. After removing what was left of the cover, he found that the springs in the bottom row of the back were just about rusted thru.
I asked if he could purchase some new springs of the same size to replace the bad ones. He wasn't sure.
Can he? Does anyone have a source for seat springs?
Thanks for the help!


Regards, Kevin
1940 1/2-ton (Uncle Willie\'s truck)

Thanks for the help so far fellow Bolters!
#163211 06/30/2005 4:07 PM
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
Kevin: If that dosen't work out for you, I have the original seat out of my 46 which would work in your 40. It's in good shape the PO had it reupholstered. I just didn't like it.

Let me know if you are interested.

George

#163212 07/01/2005 6:51 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 170
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 170
George, I will give this some time and see how he does with getting the springs. but will keep you in mind. It's nice that you are local.
Thanks!


Regards, Kevin
1940 1/2-ton (Uncle Willie\'s truck)

Thanks for the help so far fellow Bolters!
#163213 07/01/2005 7:55 AM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 122
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 122
Kevin,

I just got my seat back from the upholstery shop and they put all new springs in my 59 seat. I agree with Joe, springs are a common item requiring replacement in vintage seats.

Ask him the price difference between matching the old ones to replace the one row or to install comparable springs across the whole surface instead. That might be another option to explore.

Good luck!


Jim Karras
Orange, CA
'59 Chevy Apache 32 Stepside Pickup
E-mail: [email protected]
Internet: www.59apache.com
#163214 07/01/2005 3:58 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Kevin,
in the June 2005 issue of Custom Classic Trucks, they show how to redo a truck seat and they mention your issue. They replaced the springs with new "universal springs" and you can see it in the article. The come in a roll and you cut off lengths to string across.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#163215 07/02/2005 6:28 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 170
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 170
truckernix, thanks for the tip. I will get out and see if I can find that issue.
Thanks everyone else. I will let you know how it turns out.


Regards, Kevin
1940 1/2-ton (Uncle Willie\'s truck)

Thanks for the help so far fellow Bolters!
#163216 07/05/2005 8:49 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
I just had my seat custom done and had them put two pockets across the front of the seat for "stuff"... they've worked out great! Just a tip.


Larry Bear

55.5 Chevy 3100 Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery



Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0