The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (DBJ71SuperCustom, GRNHydra, Opelika Tom, dt235sd, Bill Hanlon), 78 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,286
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Looks like I'm trying to go the opposite way from some of you out there. I'd like to go with a modern bench, but with the shifter position on the 6-speed that's going in the truck so far back I think I'm going to have to go with buckets, considering I don't have the skills (or at least the experience) to modify a bench seat to notch around the shifter.

I'm looking for recommendations for GOOD bucket seats that will sit high enough to see out and be comfortable enough for long road trips. Any suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks,
Brent

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most late model ford seating products have a unique mount flange for the seats which does not let them sit flat on the floor of one of our type trucks. They need to be modified which is not a big deal. Chrysler products that I have seen used include seats from a Cirrus or sebring model. looked good but I cannot talk to how easily they install. My suggestion is to find some at a local swap meet that are comfortable and look decent. If you are not planning to re-upholster them then get some in the shade you like and build around that.
Another option is Ebay. I have seen many seat seats listed there. Do a search for "front seat" and you will get plenty to look at. The LKQ recycling yards seem to have some good ones listed from time to time and have a shuttle service between their locations that can save you some shipping cost.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
I don't have any problem finding seats. I was (am) wondering more about specific donor vehicles that are known to be an easy swap. Should have been more specific -- my fault. Thanks for the reply!

FWIW, I've been looking at the Smittybilt Outland C5 seats -- the ones used in the Copperhead project on Trucks! TV. I can get the full leather setup with console for under $900 on eBay, but I really just want the two buckets without the console, which I'd end up not using anyway. Have to call the vendor in the morning (hey, it beats doing real work) to get more details on pricing for just the buckets.....

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 142
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 142
Some of the later model Chevy trucks ,Tahoes etc had buckets that alot of guys are using. I have Nissan pathfinder seats that worked out good on my 51, had to build up the mounts though.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2
I like the seats from the Chevrolet Silverado. The seats in the 1999 to present are easy to install, either power or manual and they have the lap belt and shoulder belt built into the seat. I have used them in my 1946 Mercury convertible street rod and my 1954 GMC 5 window. Cost for a set of good seats is about $400 to $500.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Those are the ones I've been looking at most recently. With the integrated seatbelts, it would kill two birds with one stone. I'm just not crazy about paying that much for used OEM seats that *look* like OEM seats when I can buy new aftermarket leather seats for about the same price that look (IMHO) a lot better. If I can find a pair at a real bargain price I'll take 'em, but....

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
i use two nissan seats in my 54. they are sitting on a plywood platform that is approximately 5 inches high. that sets me up a little higher than the original bench, i'm only 5/9. they have head rests but only a small portion shows through the back window. they need to be recovered but the price was right - free. they fold down and slide forward for easy access to the tank area.


54 3100 w/62 235 "Yosemite Sam"
Born a Jay Hawk, raised an Okie and resurrected in Texas!http://community.webshots.com/user/djed50
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
i use two nissan seats in my 54. they are sitting on a plywood platform that is approximately 5 inches high. that sets me up a little higher than the original bench, i'm only 5/9. they have head rests but only a small portion shows through the back window. they need to be recovered but the price was right - free. they fold down and slide forward for easy access to the tank area.


54 3100 w/62 235 "Yosemite Sam"
Born a Jay Hawk, raised an Okie and resurrected in Texas!http://community.webshots.com/user/djed50
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 687
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 687
I know where a Ford 2003 Bench seat is already notched in the middle. Its not quite original I think thats where Dad was grasping to hold on when he went over the hill. Of course there is a big brown spot where was sitting also grin

popcorn The Truth is Out There (Might of streched it a bit there)

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Ha! grin

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 264
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 264
Seats from a 2000 Buick LeSabre work nice but attachment takes a little design work as mentioned earlier. My seats fit nice, power everything, leather centers, shoulder/lap belts built into the seat, center armrest with cupholder folds up to convert to a bench (in case some honey wants to move over).

They're well worth the effort. Paid about $200 for a set in excellent condition.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
Yay, I got my seats and installed them!

Brent, I reccommend Jeep seats. I've heard from many many people that they will work in LOTS of different people. Mine are an EXACT match in color to my original interior, so that helped.

Good luck!


GO RANGERS grin
Photos Updated so check them out!
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Have any pictures of your new seats? Would love to see 'em. :-)

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
Sure dont frown But I can get some...as soon as I can steal my camera back from Katie grin

Putting them has now forced me to make a new headliner - the old one drooped down, and this seat sits about 4-6" higher than my old seat grin grin

Also, I get to start working on my console!


GO RANGERS grin
Photos Updated so check them out!
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
Just got back from the boneyard, and got a smokin deal on some seats..front buckets out of a new Chrysler Town & Country minivan..fold down arm rests, built in head rests, reclining, slides and all..removed and to me for $65.00ea...Measured the height, and they are only 1" lower than my stock seat, which is a good thing, because whoever recovered the stock one over padded it and I sat too high..Happy Memorial Day to all!

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 25
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 25
I used Bucket Seats and the console from a '93 Chev ext cab. they are the seats with the short backs. they fit in my '60 real nice I just coped the bottom of the console to match the floor and installed some mounts made from aluminum. I also used the belts from the same truck.. worked out nice

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Quote
Originally posted by Bosher:
I used Bucket Seats and the console from a '93 Chev ext cab. they are the seats with the short backs. they fit in my '60 real nice I just coped the bottom of the console to match the floor and installed some mounts made from aluminum. I also used the belts from the same truck.. worked out nice
Any pictures? Always looking for ideas....

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1
:)have 1950 chevy pickup.am making into street rod.will have automatic trans with shifter on floor like standard trans.floor is flat now.would 99 to present silverado bucket seats work good,or is there a better preference? regards,goldenoldy

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 109
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 109
Full power seats from a 2004 Caddy SRX are nice. have 3 point belts in them and everything.....
I have a new tan set I may or not be using, email me if your interested....


John Kennedy
1950 Suburban street rod
Pics in the Gallery.......
new site up!
http://home.joimail.com/~kennedyjp/
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 32
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 32
The 99+ Silverado seats are a good solution. The base sits flat making for an easy install. They do have integrated seatbelts and measure 24 in. wide which will fit in most early pickups,burbs, etc...

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Check this e-bay store out for deals on seats, seatbelts, wheels/tires. etc.

http://stores.ebay.com/Truck-and-RV-Supply_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQftidZ2QQtZkm


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
I got GMC van seats from locals who pull that stuff out. Check out my sig - follow the link and you can see them. My 1 ton is a rough riding rig and the seats make a huge improvement in the ride. Plus they have arm rests and power on the driver's side. I do appreciate a bit o comfort in me old age.... wink

The seats required very little modification and just a couple of holes drilled to mount into my cab.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8
i did this many years ago but i used cavaler bu ckets and made a box under them 5 in high and put drawers in either side for tools


build it to last,drive it like you stole it,enjoy life
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 77
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 77
Brent, I used a set of buckets from a chrysler mini van, they are comfortable on long trips and the passenger side usually has a glove box under it that works as a tool box for me, set cost $90.00 at local yard.

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
I agree, got mine out of a newer Town and Country Chrysler mini van..Love them..arm rests, storage lockable glove box on passenger side, and very comfortable..Measured my floor to seat out of my 54 before I went shopping, and it's real close..Paid $100.00/set for mine, and they took them out and loaded them in the truck bed..Good Luck, Steve

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
I found some nice utilitarian bucket seats in an Isuzu Trooper II in the ol' boneyard.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Thanks for the TON of replies! I suppose I should mention that I'm going to be looking for something that's show-quality or purt near. It looks like the late-model GM truck seats are going to be the way I go. (Thought I had a pair of Caddy seats lined up, but they were sold out from under me.) frown

If anyone has a pair of leather seats for sale from a late-model GM truck (one with integrated seatbelts) please email me at [email protected]. Thanks!

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 275
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 275
After driving my '56 for two years with my '99 Suburban cloth seats (no a/c) and hearing my buddies complaining about their butts sticking to their leather and "pleather" seats, I'm sure glad I went the way I did.


1956 Chevy 3100
261/700r4 (formerly 3 speed OD)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
After cleaning spills and bodily fluids from young kids out of cloth seats for a few years, I'm more than ready to deal with leather. I want to be able to take my kids in the truck now and again without fear of them doing permanent damage. It's a trade-off, I know. But at least I'll have my Vintage Air setup to help with the "sticky butt" situation. :-)

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
If you want cleanliness, go for vinyl. Leather is nice, and very comfortable, but it stains much easier than vinyl.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0