The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Hush, Joe W, Peggy M, Jon G, Gray_Ghost, Guitplayer, 1 invisible), 160 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 243
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 243
i have small hair line cracks in my steering wheel in my 51 chevy truck are they worth fixing? or replace the wheel? if so whats the best way to fix these fine cracks?

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
I have read that grinding out the cracks into a V and using body filler is a good way to repair wheels. I haven't done it yet but will soon on a cracked 57' BelAir wheel. I see no reason why this would not work.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
Eastwood carries some products and kits to repair steering wheels, may wanna check that route. Mike

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 100
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 100
dbone,

I re-did a steering wheel that had MAJOR cracks for my 49 GMC 1/2T. It looks fine now. I used one of the two-part repair putties. They are fairly expensive, and the one I used had a long cure time. I think I might have got just as good a job much cheaper and faster with plain epoxy body filler.


Never start vast projects with half vast ideas.
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
I used the steering wheel repair kit available thru the catalogs... it's basically a two-part epoxy like Retread said. Worked fine.


Larry Bear

55.5 Chevy 3100 Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery


Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I did mine with the Por 15 kit, works well. Take your time to get the best results. I kind of rushed mine and have a few cracks were the putty didn't bond well at the edges. Not the products fault, but my own.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 21
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 21
I used J-B Weld. I love the stuff. It stiffens slow so you can work with it, and dries overnight so you can sand it.
The only mistake I made was not doing ALL the cracks, I only did the big cracks and chips. After I painted the wheel with Black Rust-O'lium Applicance Epoxy, I could see even the smallest cracks. Take your time and get ALL the defects out before you paint. Since you see/hold the wheel all the time, you'll be glad you spent the extra effort. cool

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 47
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 47
I did some large cracks in my steering wheel 16 years ago with stuff from eastman, filed the cracks to a "V" and it worked well and is only showing hairline cracks after all this time.


i love my dog's 1965 suburban.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 38
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 38
I did my friends '68 Camaro steering wheel using Eastmans PC7 two part epoxy system. I took an old coarse file and broke it into about 3" long pieces, (Easier to handle), and cut the cracks into "Vs" then filled the cracks about 3/4" wider than the crack and slightly larger in diameter than the wheel grip. After the PC7 cured I first filed the epoxy down the switched to sandpaper and finished with a 400 grit paper.
After being painted gloss black, it looked like brand new.

I do remember wondering why I couldn't use JB Weld instead as is seemed to have the same consistancy and performance.

Rezman


Snapoff brand tools
..................................
1948 Chevy 6400
1949 Chevy 4400 (parts truck)
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
And while we'er all here, what was the appropriate color and sheen on a 1950 steering wheel?
Is the wheel made of hard rubber or plastic? If plastic, which one, cast epoxy resin, injection molded poly-something?
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0