The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Swami29, Otto Skorzeny, Gray_Ghost, Youngin' Tut 59), 143 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,605
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 508
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 508
Hey Everybody,

I need a new engine for my 1953 3100. I can use any of the listed inline engines. It has to be a running engine in usable condition. No rebuilds. I can travel a limited distance, but prefer an engine located within 100 miles of Fredericksburg, VA.

Thanks!


Mike
1953 3100
The Gray Ghost
My Project journal
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 508
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 508
I'll broaden the range to 150 miles from Fredericksburg, VA.


Mike
1953 3100
The Gray Ghost
My Project journal
Joined: Dec 2025
Posts: 5
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2025
Posts: 5
Gray ghost I am in Stafford VA, and working on a 53 3100 as well, let me know if I can help!

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 508
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 508
Thanks, Buckeye!


Mike
1953 3100
The Gray Ghost
My Project journal
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,971
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,971
Mike - I did some web surfing for ads in your general vicinity. Only one FBM ad for a 235 within the 150 radius is listed 235 in Harpers Ferry, WV. It unfortunately doesn't indicate it is a known good running engine. Just mentions it "turns over freely". The casting code confirms it's a low water pump 1959 block, but no serial number to confirm further details.

I expanded my search to 250 miles, just to see if there was anything lurking farther out. These are the next ads currently listed, some saying running or removed from a running vehicle:

1957 running 235 from a car in Lebanon, PA

taken from a 1956 sedan - running 235 but smokes and needs rings in Sanford, NC

Chevy straight 6 235 - sitting for an unknown amount of time and will need work in New Tripoli, PA Note: pictures show a Dec 27th 1954 block casting date for casting code that match 1955-57 235's. Guessing this is a very early 1955 model year engine.

1954 Chevy 235 in used/good condition in Donora, PA Actually about 275 miles distant from you. Does say it was pulled to do a SBC swap, so maybe in running condition?

Sorry that there doesn't seem to be any better candidates than these, but perhaps one may work?


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,729
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,729
Mike -- Have you talked to Chris Sweet about your search yet?

Frankly, I doubt you will find a good running engine you can plug and play. I learned the hard way that any unknown engine, running or not, needs to be considered a "Rebuildable Core." Yes, you might find one that runs okay. You may even get to see and hear it run. It won't even smoke. But it's only a matter of time (weeks/months) and you will be pulling it to rebuild anyway. So why play Stovebolt Roulette and end up paying good money for a "running engine" and then pay big money (and time) rebuilding it anyway?

A running, unrebuilt Stovebolt Six is an engine with a minimum of 6 decades under its belt. Who knows what's about to go belly up inside it? And who knows where that would happen. Sure would stink to have it happen on route 3 in front of the mall .... Its a much better candidate for a rebuild than it is for a drop in replacement.

Just sayin'

John
"Capn Sunshine"


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 95
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 95
Well, I tried the guys on Lebanon and St. Tripoli in PA about a week ago. Neither responded. I thought they were good candidates for me but it didn't pan out. Hope you have better luck!


1954 3600 Stakebed
non-original engine out of a '55 passenger car with powerglide
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
I took one ride in John's truck after the 216 got swapped for a "recently rebuilt" 261- - - - - -and watched the oil pressure drop to dangerously low numbers, and listened to a very worrisome knock develop as it got up to running temperature. Dropping the oil pan just a few days later revealed a connecting rod bearing that was on the verge of making its way into low earth orbit! Fortunately, John was wise enough to treat my concerns seriously and avoid a disaster!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 508
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 508
Hey Everybody,

I appreciate the help and wisdom! I had seen some of the listed engines and actually almost bought the one in Lebanon, PA. I ended up not buying it for a variety of reasons. The problem I've got is money. I don't have any for the machine shop. I've started fantasizing about a rebuild that didn't require a machinist.... Then I come back to reality. Maybe it's time to sell a few things to raise some money for a rebuild.


Mike
1953 3100
The Gray Ghost
My Project journal
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
That would be your best bet. There is no way to verify what condition a running engine is actually in that you buy from a stranger.
A good machinist familiar with Stovebolt engines who stands behind their work will give piece of mind which I consider priceless.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 508
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 508
Other than some left over odds and ends, this is really all I've got that I could sell. Early on I had planned to use these parts. Now, I just want it to run so I can drive it and the single Carter seems to do a good job. Honestly, I think I'll ditch the fenton headers and go back to the factory exhaust manifold. Then I could sell the fentons, too. Is it worth the effort to sell these parts?
Attachments
20261009_074418~2.jpg (190.32 KB, 18 downloads)


Mike
1953 3100
The Gray Ghost
My Project journal
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,392
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,392
Selling used engine parts is always a challenge as you need to find someone that is looking for what your selling and the buyer pool is not very deep. That being said any cash you can generate from the sales is better than parts sitting on the shelf. Listing parts here or Marketplace is not too daunting and free so at least you would not be loosing part of the proceeds to others.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,327
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,327
Those should help out in financing your rebuild and there should be an interest .Dont give them away. Check first what there value could bring.


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0