The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gray_Ghost, Shade Baby, WarEagle1, Jon G), 114 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,102
Posts1,056,184
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1611287 09/14/2026 12:58 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I'm not sure what sub forum this should go into so please move as appropriate.

I am considering shortening the steering shaft on my '50 3600 to move the steering wheel closer to the dash and further from the seat. It is fine as it is but more room between the seat and the wheel seems like it would improve things.

I do not want to change the steering wheel or the wheel to shaft components but would either cut and redo the steering box end or cut a section out of the middle but before I jump into the deep end I was wodnering what others may have done.

I know a lot of people change out the column and while that's a possibility if I go that route I will probably change the steering gear and add power steering (project scope explosion).


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,215
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,215
On my '37 I installed a '40 steering box to get away from the gear on gear original box for the newer style roller bearing gear box. The '40 has a different steering wheel and a taper mount. The wheel had too much offset for my liking.

I cut the top of the '37 shaft off to replace the top of the '40 so I could use the original '37 wheel and horn contact. I did a lot of measuring before cutting. Once cut I placed the shaft and the new end in a heavy piece of angle iron with plenty of clamps to hold it straight. I beveled each piece almost to a point so the weld would start in the center of the 3/4" shafts. I used a mig welder and put a heavy weld to hold it, loosened the clamps, rotated 1/2 way, and welded some more. After each weld I let it cool while still clamped in the angle iron. I cut the shaft so the weld would be just below the upper bearing, this would mean no grinding on the weld.
I was able to use the original outer tube, you will need to cut yours, so think about which end to cut. The '37 uses the tube to hold the upper bearing and the horn wire exits the lower end. If I was to cut one end, I would lean towards the gear box end, drilling a hole would be easy for the wire exit. I also had the main shaft out of the gear box.

I don't worry about the weld, I know it goes clear through the shaft, it was a clean weld with plenty of heat, its straight and works.

If you have doubts about welding have it done by someone who does it for a living, this is not the place you want to start welding. It needs to be straight!

If you need a little leg room, you can shorten the column mount at the dash, this will lift the wheel a little higher with out too much modifying.

Joe

Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,454
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,454
Before cutting anything ....

Measure from the bottom of the steering wheel to the edge of the seat.

Loosen the bolts that attach the steering box to the frame.

Remove the dashboard to steering column hanger.

Hold the steering wheel up as far as it will go and measure from the bottom of the steering wheel again.

Did you gain enough space?

If yes, modify the column hanger, which is much easier than cutting the column.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
WICruiser #1611359 09/15/2026 11:42 AM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
The space I am looking for is not vertical but horizontal so I don't think the column hanger is the answer but I will check as it is much easier.

I can easily live with the wheel in its current location but there seems to be a lot of column on the driver side of the dash leading me to consider the possibility of moving the wheel forward. If I do pursue something it will be on my winter project list.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,805
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,805
I'm confused. Do you mean you want something like a telescopic wheel except one that's in a fixed position closer to the dashboard?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
Here's a telescoping "double D" shaft setup that can be spliced into the worm gear shaft by a VERY skilled welding shop. I'd suggest TIG welding. It will be much stronger and safer than any other way I can think of to shorten the shaft, and you can shorten the mast jacket a corresponding amount.

www.ebay.com/itm/227402359459?

Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,805
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,805
What are those zip ties for?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Here's a telescoping "double D" shaft setup that can be spliced into the worm gear shaft by a VERY skilled welding shop. I'd suggest TIG welding. It will be much stronger and safer than any other way I can think of to shorten the shaft, and you can shorten the mast jacket a corresponding amount.

www.ebay.com/itm/227402359459?

Jerry

Borgeson makes those. Along with u-joints that attach by locking set screw incase welding is an issue.

Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Otto, my thought is to move the wheel closer to the dash so I guess that would be similar to a telescoping column.

HRL, thanks for the idea of a telescoping double D shaft.

Given that I am probably only talking about moving the wheel a few inches and the effort required to do so is fairly substantial I am probably going to drop it.

Thanks all for your input.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
I'm accustomed to building dirt track race cars, so betting my driver's life on setscrews in a steering system isn't an option. "Build it three times as strong as you think it needs to be, and try not to be surprised when it breaks" has been the racer's approach for decades!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Agreed Jerry! Build for the application!

Does remind me a a conversation I had when "restoring" the dragster for the car show circuit.

Race car guys: "Polish?!?! We'd tear down an engine between rounds, dirt and oil flying everywhere! We didn't polish or clean!!"

Me: "Guys, it ain't going racing no more. It is now eye candy with an occasional fire up for noise. No more 'hit the track in anger' stuff. Just look pretty for the crowds. Know your audience!"

They got it after a show or two.....

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
Definitely, Mark! On the truck pull circuit, we used to make "maximum for class" weight by tossing the tiedown chains and a few binders onto the passenger's side floor board! Like Smokey Yunick used to say- - - -"It's only cheatin' if ya get caught!" LOL!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0