I know it should be there & I thought it was plugged into the vacuum nipple but it’s not & I can’t locate it. I thought it was connected until I just bumped it while cleaning it up. Generic carburetor. It ran good & if anything it took the gas very quickly. Thanks!
1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton Working on my project since 2015 Follow along in my DITY
It's on the passenger side of the carburetor on the lower part of the carb.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
That looks like a Motorcraft two barrel carb there. A definite case of 'I had this laying around' when the previous carb went bad. Those two barrels were actually among Ford's better offerings, I always thought. They were easy to overhaul and didn't give much trouble.
If you had it hooked to the port just under the air filter towards the front, thats is a fuel bowl vent. You won't have any vacuum there. Also, if you had it hooked to a ported vacuum outlet, there will be no vacuum till the throttle is opened.
I responded but don’t see my response?? I’ll repeat. The small canister visible in the picture at the automatic choke is connected to the port on the Px side. I thought the hose coming from the vacuum distributor advance was hooked up but apparently not! So while driving I assume the motor timing is not advancing? Pretty wild I’ve been driving so long without it now😳🧐🙃
1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton Working on my project since 2015 Follow along in my DITY
That's correct. No vacuum advance if the dizzy isn't connected to a vacuum port at the carb.
I think the canister at the carb is the choke pull-off.
If there are no other ports in the carb base, install a T. Just to satisfy everyone's curiosity, disconnect the pull-off and connect the dizzy advance and take it for a drive. You'll probably notice better performance and better fuel efficiency.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
You should be able to hook up to the port in the lower left corner of this picture, the port is facing left with a black cap on it. This computer I use is very basic, no editing of pictures or else I would draw an arrow for you. Its just back of the mounting bolt hole up under the fuel bowl area.
(If it is a Ford carb) I am looking at a diagram in the 1966 Ford service manual of a Ford 2-V Carburetor. It has an arrow labelled "distributor vacuum port" pointing to an area at the driver side front of the carburetor.
It appears to be below and slightly to the left (as viewed from driver seat) of the choke spring housing.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Thanks everyone. I unplugged the choke canister & plugged in the distributor hose. Amazing, cranked up & ran much better. I unplugged while running & it slowed & was not steady. I’ll have to drive it in a bit🤗 it has not been fun to drive lately 😳
Last edited by glennj3; 06/06/20265:49 PM.
1953 Chevy 153A 3/4-ton Working on my project since 2015 Follow along in my DITY
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)