The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, rfs56trk, Dusty53, Buckeye998, Chip O, WICruiser), 153 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 340
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 340
Is there a way to adjust the door latch on a 1936 GMC T-14? I have looked and it doesn't seem to have any movement in the latch assembly. They are hard to close without slamming them pretty hard, and are hard to open from the inside.
Also the outside door handle droops down, is there a spring or something that keeps it level?


1936 GMC T-14 restro-mod
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Do not know if GMC and Chevrolet used the same assembly and if so if there were any significant changes from ‘36 to the later years. I do know the later years Chevy trucks used a spring to address the drooping issue. As for the latch assembly movement, my suspicion is the assembly is gummed up and needs to be removed to clean years of accumulated gunk. Slamming the door will likely eventually lead to otherwise avoidable damage or breakage.

Attached is a photo showing a latch assembly for a ‘46 Chevy 1/2 ton. The assembly on top replaced the one shown on bottom.
Attachments
4f5060e168278078-photo.jpeg (204.42 KB, 50 downloads)

Last edited by 46Sparky; 04/13/2026 12:07 AM. Reason: Added photo explanation
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 340
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 340
Ok, I will take them off and see what I can do with them. Thanks for the info.


1936 GMC T-14 restro-mod
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,215
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,215
My '37 doors were hard to close once I installed all the weather stripping, over time it got easier. Clean and grease the latches, and make sure the catches on the door frame are free of burrs and not worn out and adjusted right. Even when working good, my inside pull knob is pretty hard to pull, but that's better then the door coming open on its own. The door handle has a square rod that engages the square door latch, if either one is worn, the handle droops, same with the internal latch wear, it all adds up and the handles droop. I gave up trying to fix mine, now every so often I change the rubber grommet in the outer chrome trim piece which will holds the lever up while at a show or cruise night, but they still droop while driving.

I though about figuring out just how much they droop, then twisting the square rod enough to take out all the slop so the handle would set level, but I only had one pair and was afraid of what might happen if it went south.

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 340
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 340
I haven't had time to disassemble the latch yet, to much other stuff going on. I did notice that the body or the door skin at the hinge would start to flex a little before the door would latch.
It was worse when the door seals were installed.
I will try and take a video and see if I can post it, also some pictures of the door closing with my bore scope so you can see what's happening. Wont be able to do it for a couple of weeks as we are leaving town and headed to Knoxville to see my wife's sister for a week or so.


1936 GMC T-14 restro-mod

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0