Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
128
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,127 Posts1,056,680 Members48,452 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2025 Posts: 50 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2025 Posts: 50 | Attempting to disconnect everything from the cab of my 1956 Chevy 3100 so I can remove it and commence major cleaning. One major hurdle is attempting to remove the 1 1/2" nut that holds the pitman arm onto the gear box. I have sprayed it with Blaster solvent several times, used a breaker bar with a 1 1/2" socket, heated the nut with a propane torch, and used a small sledge hammer to try to loosen this nut. Have any of you run into this situation and what did you do to break it loose?
In the past when I ran into a stubborn bolt or nut (numerous times dismantling the truck bed on this 3100) I've used a power cutoff tool. I could do that on this but then there goes the gear box which is hooked to the steering column (which is a problem in itself).
Thanks for any advice you have. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,228 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,228 | Cordless impact wrench or air powered impact, they will knock it right off. Don't pull so hard you turn the steering box clear to the end, you could damage the internal gears or roller ball tracks. The nuts usually come off fairly easy, it's the arm that puts up a fight. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,504 Moderator, Electrical Bay | | Moderator, Electrical Bay Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,504 | Try tightening the nut before loosening it. It was put on with probably 90 pounds torque and it may have galled the screw threads a bit. Occasionally tightening first will help it.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
| | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,113 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,113 | How hot did you get the nut? Did you try removing it while still hot? That would expand the nut away from the shaft a bit. If you cool it off it will actually shrink tighter than it was originally, so don't do that.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2020 Posts: 1,967 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2020 Posts: 1,967 | If it won`t come off with heat then I think I might cut down into one side of the nut with a cutoff saw. I`d keep heating it up and spraying PB blaster or WD -40 while HOT. I`ve not noticed much of a difference in the two lubricants used this way. Get a chisel and get a good bite on the edge of the square angle of the nut and give a good hit.
~ BD. "You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker 1958 Apache Stepside 1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel 1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2018 Posts: 279 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2018 Posts: 279 | I’ve recently seen pouring ice water on it while hot. Seems to work. My son tried it, I haven’t personally.
~Charley 1954 Chevy 3100 with 235“Bud”Follow along in the DITY1963 Chevy half ton stepside short box 230 1954 GMC 3 ton 302 And several more Chevy camper and work trucks 1979 1987 1996 | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 3,431 Crusty Old Sarge | | Crusty Old Sarge Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 3,431 | Try heating it up again and hit it with some Kroil, that stuff is amazing.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400"The Book of Thor"Read the story in the DITY1960 Chevrolet C10"A Family Heirloom"Follow the story in the DITY Gallery'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting) If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane | | | | | Joined: Aug 2025 Posts: 50 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2025 Posts: 50 | I haven't tried the impact wrench attack. That is the next thing I will try. I got the nut hot, but think if the impact wrench doesn't work I will heat it until it get RED hot, but not melting hot. I just got it really warm before. My brother-in-law farmer said to try the hot/cold trick, but holding off on it for now. Cutting a line in one side of the nut with a cutoff tool and then use a chisel to knock it loose is a good thought which I will try, as well. Thank you all for your great ideas. One or a couple is bound to work. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2025 Posts: 50 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2025 Posts: 50 | Well all of you were a great help. I got it off within 5 seconds with an air impact wrench. Now, as Joe H said, the Pitman Arm is being very stubborn. I'll be trying the Kroil along with heat and a good puller. Again, thanks guys, you're much appreciated! | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 605 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 605 | I have a Pitman arm puller, but on my bus I still had to heat it up pretty hot with acetylene torch and then it slipped right off. If you don't heat it up, it will break the pulller... ask me how I know. I'm quite sure mine hadn't been removed since 1965, and despite anti-seize and more moderate heat, it didn't go quite as far back onto the shaft as the marks said it did from the factory. I tightened it so much I was afraid of ruining the nut, so I think it's past 90lbs/ft.
1965 C60 school bus | 1967 GMC 6500 school bus
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2022 Posts: 95 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2022 Posts: 95 | I agree with the Kroll comment. It’s the best penetrating oil I’ve found. If it sits overnight it can loosen most anything. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,228 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,228 | Just know, that arm is a taper fit, penetrating oil won't due much to a taper fit. Put the puller on and tighten the bolt till it about breaks, then hit the head of the puller bolt really hard with a hammer, bigger the better. Have the nut on the shaft so when it breaks free it doesn't hit you or something else when comes off.
If you go the heat route, there is a seal right at the housing that will likely get damaged, it's easy enough to change once the arm is off, and should be changed anyway, heat or not.
Us a puller made for idler arms, not a long arm gear puller. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 1,669 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 1,669 | ... Put the puller on and tighten the bolt till it about breaks, then hit the head of the puller bolt really hard with a hammer, bigger the better. Have the nut on the shaft so when it breaks free it doesn't hit you or something else when comes off. I kind of did the same when removing mine years ago. Sprayed some PB Blaster, put a puller on and got it tight, then tapped on the arm like a tie rod end. Lots of taps and it finally popped off.
~ John in Utah 1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engineHere We GoFollow in his DITY Bay- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
| | |
| |