The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Eileen), 271 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,181
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1600154 03/20/2026 5:17 PM
Joined: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
Hi
First time posting here. (Except for the Welcome page)
I’m working on a 1948 Five window Loadmaster.
I bought a pickup of the same era for some parts including the grille.
I know that the hood and fenders are bigger/different, but I falsely assumed the grills were the same size.
After cleaning up the donor grille I realize it’s smaller!
It’s the same width and fits in OK, but it’s about 1.5 inches shorter than the original.
New repop outlets don’t offer larger grilles, to my knowledge.
What is everyone doing to replace the grilles on these bigger trucks?
I suppose I’ll need to find a similar donor truck, or work with what I have.
Attachments
IMG_0007.jpeg (214.86 KB, 138 downloads)

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
Originally Posted by Loadmaster48
Hi

I suppose I’ll need to find a similar donor truck, or work with what I have.

That pretty much says it.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
Yes, the pickup grilles are smaller than the Big Bolts. You are correct that no one reproduces the Big Bolt grilles unfortunately, so finding a donor truck is the way to go.

On a good note, pretty much any of the Chevy Big Bolts 1947-53 like yours, with the exception of COE's, use the same grille. They are usually lesser in demand, so perhaps easier to find.

Best of luck in your search.


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 601
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 601
Is the picture you provided of the truck with its original grille, or with the pickup truck grille? It actually doesn't look too bad in there. Maybe you could use most of it and take one of the nicer segments from the other grille, making one franken-grille to fill the whole space.


1965 C60 school bus | 1967 GMC 6500 school bus
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
It looks from your pictures that the big truck grille is just shorter (less high) than the smaller truck grilles. Possibly the vertical spacing between the bars is different (larger on the big truck grilles.) So grille bars are likely interchangeable. Yours look to be in great shape, so what you'd need are the end pieces and center vertical supports from a donor grille and swap over your bars to those. Shouldn't be too hard to find a grille with trashed bars where the vertical supports are OK. That or a decent complete grille.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
From Jim Carter site
Attachments
IMG_6943.png (1.13 MB, 94 downloads)
IMG_6941.png (955.14 KB, 94 downloads)
IMG_6942.png (1.29 MB, 94 downloads)


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
S
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
If you are in Brandon, you might check this guy in Wosley SK . If he doesn't have any parts, he probably knows someone who does. Looks like it's 3 hours from you.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1506725187203377

Last edited by Gdads51; 03/24/2026 2:33 PM. Reason: remove tracking from FBM link

A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin
When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
There used to be a guy in Nepawa that had a lot of vehicles but that was years ago.


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
My old chrome grille is in rough shape. The Big Bolt grille bars are bigger and the spacing is wider than the half ton.
I need to focus on brakes, exhaust and tires etc. first.
Pictured is the smaller/shorter replacement. It's held up in place with a 2x2.
I'll either live with the gap and hide it somehow, or add a bottom bar from my old one, or get another Big Bolt grille. Might have to settle for a painted one.
Original was chrome, and it's a five window.

Joined: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
Yes Kevinski, that is good info. I’m going the other way though. I bought a small parts truck for 2 ton cosmetic parts including the chrome grille. It’s not the end of the world, just disappointing.

Joined: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Tronman
Is the picture you provided of the truck with its original grille, or with the pickup truck grille? It actually doesn't look too bad in there. Maybe you could use most of it and take one of the nicer segments from the other grille, making one franken-grille to fill the whole space.

Hah... I did mock something up like that.
I'm not a purist, but don't want to Frankenstein it either.
Attached is a 6 bar pictured with short bar.
Without it is a 2" gap below.
If I went this way, I would use the longer bottom bar off the old one instead of the easier removed short top one pictured.

Joined: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Super55
If you are in Brandon, you might check this guy in Wosley SK . If he doesn't have any parts, he probably knows someone who does. Looks like it's 3 hours from you.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1506725187203377

I know the place. I've talked to them on the phone though. A little expensive I think. Finding good trucks locally isn't too hard.

Joined: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
This is the picture of a 6 bar grille mocked up. I'm not committed to this and nothing has been permanently altered.... Yet.
Attachments
IMG_20260322_165019607_HDR.jpg (256.74 KB, 52 downloads)
Six bar mock-up

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
That would work, although the lineup of the bars on each side will be a little wonky with each bar being different length, but two of them being the same. I think I can see that on the lower driver's side of your picture. Not too many might notice that though. The lowest bar is supposed to attach to the lower radiator apron.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
The Neepawa guy I see sold off his collection of stuff I found his name Gordie Vincent and see there was a auction in 2017 that was filmed on YouTube.


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by klhansen
That would work, although the lineup of the bars on each side will be a little wonky with each bar being different length, but two of them being the same. I think I can see that on the lower driver's side of your picture. Not too many might notice that though. The lowest bar is supposed to attach to the lower radiator apron.

You are right. However the one I used for the mock-up isn't the one I would use. It's off the top of the original one.
I would use the longer bottom one which is the same length as the bottom donor grille bar.
It's not in great shape, but would work for a start, plus it would be partially covered.

Joined: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by KEVINSKI
The Neepawa guy I see sold off his collection of stuff I found his name Gordie Vincent and see there was a auction in 2017 that was filmed on YouTube.

Yes thanks. I'm familiar.

Joined: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2026
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Tronman
Is the picture you provided of the truck with its original grille, or with the pickup truck grille? It actually doesn't look too bad in there. Maybe you could use most of it and take one of the nicer segments from the other grille, making one franken-grille to fill the whole space.

Franken or Frankenstein is such a harsh word. Sounds negative. I like... Altered out of Necessity, but in a Good Way.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0