The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Mr Crosswrench, RLB, klhansen, 1 invisible), 108 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,395
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#159900 10/06/2007 4:07 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
What's the consensus on these wire welders that don't use inert gas?
Are they any good?
Do they leave slag that has to be chipped?
How do they compare to traditional MIG welders?

Woody


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
#159901 10/06/2007 4:26 AM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 50
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 50
I'm running a Hobart 175A gas MIG, no comparision to flux wire. Cleaner, less porus welds. Save your pennies and buy the shielding gas model. Of course that's just MHO :p


They named it Apache cause it has a patchy welded here and a patchy welded there.
#159902 10/06/2007 4:41 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
I like gas also, no comparo I don't use the flux core unless I'm outside


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
#159903 10/06/2007 4:51 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Woody,

It's the 'apples & oranges' deal! They aren't' the same process, but they are perfect for their intended use.

FCAW will produce a nice heavy slag that pops off very easily to reveal a bead that looks like it was poured into the joint.

This process inherently takes more heat to create the weld so it isn't something you would use in a body shop on sheet metal.

A MIG process with the proper shielding gas and a skinny .023 wire would be just the ticket for those rusted out cab corners and such!

These are two different animals!

Stuart

#159904 10/06/2007 6:26 AM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
I tried using flux core when I ran out of gas.
If that ever happens again, I'll rub two pieces of metal together really fast in hopes that I'll create enough heat to weld them together before trying flux core again.
Your results may vary. (And probably will!)

-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
#159905 10/06/2007 11:24 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
I guess that answers that question eek

Thanks guys!


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
#159906 10/14/2007 12:03 AM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
If you change from gas to flux core wire you have to change pollaraty. I've used flux core in my ornamental iron shop instalations forever. Never used gas because it blows away when welding out side.

#159907 10/14/2007 12:59 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Beaver 53,

How interesting. I thought you might be mistaken on the polarity issue, so I ran down and looked inside my Beta-Mig 200.

I have been spewing wire with that thing for eons, both MIG and FCAW, and have never touched anything besides the HI/LO transformer taps.

Sure as heck, the little diagram from Hobart shows DCEP for all the MIG wire, and lo and behold, DCEN for the FCAW process!

I have never swapped polarity, and the flux core weld has always come out very nicely. I always use the flux core with shielding gas...maybe that makes a difference in weld quality.

Just for grins, next time I use it with the 'innershield', I will switch polarity and see what happens. Thanks for the interesting heads up..you DO learn something every day. wave

Stuart

#159908 10/14/2007 3:58 AM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
1
Junior Member
Junior Member
1 Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
I have a flux welder its 125 amps. Its good for small stuff like fenders any thing thing. Ive had good luck with mine. Im just starting out but my 3 best friends are lisends welders so thay have been showing me some stuff. Now I have used a L E with gas and its a lot better. And as far as the gas blowing away out side :confused: My friends and I have done pipe fence with a mig out in 40mph winds and we never had that problem. Any ways just my two cent

#159909 10/14/2007 3:43 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
You were Lucky or you don't know a good weld when you see it, Gas shielding just won't work outside if there is any wind. Automark, I think you are wasting gas if you use both inner shield and gas. Co2 gas works well on body parts, It runs cooler because of the gas and won't warp as easily. Argon will weld hotter and give you a better penetration when welding heavier material.

#159910 10/14/2007 9:26 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
mabey he had his flowmeter turned way up! if it's windy i have to turn mine up some, i don't think i have welded in 40 mps wind though. mabey stuart invinted a new combination with his polarity and double sheilding!! i still want to try the flux core with the sheilding gas like i have heard about here. i guess i am just lazy and don't want to change the wire. i have been using mig for some time but best i remember the flux cored wire was a lot more expensive. i haven't even used it in years.

#159911 10/18/2007 11:44 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 147
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 147
I can't remember whether it has been mentioned, but fwiw just remember that flux core likes to be put on hotter than gas shielded wire. I use it for structural stuff because I like the deeper penetration. I don't like using it for welding sheet because I find that cleaning up the splatter is a pain in the butt.

A friend gave me a tip that could solve that problem, He says that he sprays the area up to about an inch from the weld with WD-40 or even Pam, being careful not to let it get into the weld. I haven't tried it, but seeing that I use the Pam to keep the splatter controlled in my MIG gun, I think it could work. I still won't use the flux core on my body work for now.


55 Cameo 396 TH 400 with overdrive
65 Caliente conv
67 BB Caliente conv
67 Mercury 1 Ton
76 GMC 3/4 ton 454ci
84 Buick Turbo Regal

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0