The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hotrod Lincoln, 1946chevytruck, 55shaker, 78buckshot, dt235sd), 119 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,661
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
Anyone have any leads to finding a battery tray for the bottom of my Group 35 battery? Just looking for one of those plastic trays the battery sits in to protect the bottom. My battery is about 7 x 9 1/4 inches.
Attachments
IMG_9512a.jpg (105 KB, 199 downloads)
IMG_9764a.jpg (127.51 KB, 194 downloads)

Last edited by UtahYork; 03/03/2026 2:16 AM.

~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,113
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,113
Everything I've seen is for larger batteries. I suppose you could buy one of those and cut it down to fit. If it's made of polyethylene, you could cut the center of one and thermal weld the two ends back together.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,328
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,328
Go buy a cheep dollar store cutting board and cut it to fit .


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
Originally Posted by klhansen
Everything I've seen is for larger batteries. I suppose you could buy one of those and cut it down to fit...

Yes - that's what I've been finding, nothing small. I'll probably have to cut something down to fit.


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,902
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,902
Batteries Plus has a plastic battery box 7.5" x 10.75" in case you have room for an extra inch and a half length.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
Thanks Otto! I might go look at it today. I could cut off the rear facing side to make it fit and have protection from possible rocks and debris from the front tire. I could just leave the top open if the lid doesn't fit.

Update: Went to Batteries Plus+ today and that box was like 5.5"x7.5" on the inside, so my Group 35 battery would not fit. Looks like they listed the outside dimensions. The worker did mention looking for a battery mat, so I'll do some searching tonight.
Attachments
Battery Tray.jpg (29.51 KB, 161 downloads)

Last edited by UtahYork; 03/04/2026 3:11 AM.

~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 221
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 221
John

Since my battery is sitting inside on the inner fender up by heater hoses. I want to put it back to where it belongs. I have been searching for a box that would work. Not many options out there. I wasn’t sure if you wanted an actual battery box per se cause I’m not sure how much space is available with battery inside the current tray. So I was trying to think outside the box.
1. Rubber roofing (in the picture) I couldn’t find two boxes but you may get the idea by putting battery in the rubber and folding ends like wrapping a present and then trim off the excess on top.
2. Rubber floor mat 1/4 thick and cut a piece for the bottom.
3. Rubbermaid bins, I couldn’t find any that fit
4. 3 gallon gas can with the top cut off or any similar container.
5. Leave well enough alone🤣

Glen
Attachments
IMG_5813.jpeg (250.4 KB, 126 downloads)


1946 Chevy Truck 216 1/2 ton
"Tales from a weekend mechanic"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
I tried this small bin from Home Depot - only $2.50, but it didn't work out. I was thinking about #2. Rubber floor mat for just the bottom.
Attachments
Bin for Battery.jpg (48.25 KB, 107 downloads)


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Jul 2022
Posts: 95
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2022
Posts: 95
Do you know of anyone with a 3D printer in town? They make filament with carbon fiber reinforcement that should be strong enough for the tray and you could make the sides low or make the higher with a lid of some sort I would think. I have a printer but have not learned to draft my own creations.


Brendan
1940 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton Pickup
Restoring Dad's old truck
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,902
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,902
That's a pretty good idea, Brendan.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 221
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 221
I noticed a grill mat today at Menards. Not sure how much space is leaf in battery tray after battery is in but this mat is firm rubber, 1/8 thick and could possibly set in the sides. Could probably get at any place that sells grills

Glen


1946 Chevy Truck 216 1/2 ton
"Tales from a weekend mechanic"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
I saw this at Classic Parts and ordered it. Guess I'll see if it was worth $7.
Attachments
Chevy Battery Tray Pad.jpg (38.61 KB, 67 downloads)


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
OK - I had my good laugh for the day. I was thinking these battery pads would have been BIGGER and would have fit in the tray. Oh well.
Attachments
IMG_1877a.jpg (90.92 KB, 43 downloads)


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,328
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,328
I think I replied earlier about a cutting board they are a few bucks and usually 1/4 thick or more and various sizes and colours cut to fit
Attachments
IMG_6965.png (1.28 MB, 40 downloads)


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
I'm trying that next, Kevin! Plus they seem pretty sturdy.

Last edited by UtahYork; 04/01/2026 9:55 PM.

~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 221
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 221
2 more options

The one is interlocking floor mats. Lots of option

Or 1/4” sports/stall mat.

Glen
Attachments
IMG_5991.png (720.28 KB, 24 downloads)
IMG_5992.png (746.57 KB, 24 downloads)

Last edited by Ponchogl; 04/02/2026 3:54 PM.

1946 Chevy Truck 216 1/2 ton
"Tales from a weekend mechanic"
Follow in the DITY

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0