My front brakes are dragging. I'm trying to figure out how to adjust them without remiving the wheel. I can't find an adjustment window behind the plate in back of the wheel. Can they be adjusted without removing the wheel?
Dennis - All I could find is the instructions for 1-1/2 Ton and COE Brakes in the 1941 Shop Manual.
These are identical to the procedures and diagrams in a 1946 Shop Manual I have.
I think they should be the same for your truck as looking at the specs in the GM Heritage 1946 Chevrolet Truck Data, the brake specifications for 4100 and up truck models are all the same.
Check the rear side of your front backing plates for the adjusting bolts.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Dennis, the factory had metal clips that covered the adjustment windows at the top of the backing plate. Perhaps you need to clean the plate up a bit if it has attached grease/dirt obscuring the windows.
Dan, the adjusting bolts are for the rear brakes only.
After sitting all night I raised the front end of the truck and could turn the front wheels by hand. Last evening the wheels would not turn when I parked it in the shop and raised the front end. I filled the master cylinder with brake fluid yesterday. Now I'm wondering if I overfilled it, leaving no room to release pressure from the wheel cylinders. Does the brake fluid need room to return to the master cylinder after I release the brake? The brakes are not great on thistruck, but they are good enough for what little use Igive them.
Not only does there need to be room in the master cylinder for brake fluid to return to the reservoir, but the pedal pushrod needs to be adjusted so that the relief opening is uncovered when the pedal is released. If the relief opening is obstructed, expanding brake fluid (from heat) won't have anywhere to go and will expand the wheels cylinders and lock up the brakes. If you push the pedal while observing the fluid in the reservoir, you should see a little fluid being pushed back into the reservoir in a little geyser. That's the fluid being released before the master cylinder cup covers the relief opening and begins expanding the wheel cylinders.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Dan, the adjusting bolts are for the rear brakes only.
Kent
Thanks Kent. I did that reply post using my phone and because of old eyes, missed that in the first paragraph of the shop manual. I stand corrected sir.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Thank you! I'm sure the problem was operator error...me being the operator! I filled the master cylinder to the top, leaving no room for expansion. I'm 72, soon to be 73 years old. These have been my firewood trucks for many years. I tried to give the '46 to my nephew. No interest. The young generation doesn't careabout stuff like this.