The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (WICruiser, Youngin' Tut 59, Rick Brown, Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln, KEVINSKI, 3800GUY, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 106 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,116
Posts1,056,589
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 380
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 380
I am getting ready to install BASIC wiring to perform initial test start on my project. (1954 235ci, 12 volt alternator, 6 volt starter, battery in original location under passenger seat floor.

When I get to thinking about specifics, it is amazing to realize how little I am sure of!

Jerry has approved of my (very messy) schematic of what I intend to do. (Thanks Jerry! Now it is up to me to follow the schematic and not let the magic smoke out!)

From what I have read on the forum, I expect to use 4 gauge stranded copper wire from battery to grounds and from battery to starter.

For battery terminals where it would be handy to terminate more than one wire/cable what is a good solution? (I am thinking of grounds to frame, engine and cab…and the positive connections to the starter, ammeter
and incoming from the alternator.)

From alternator output to battery, 6 gauge stranded copper?

For the rest of the basic wiring to run the engine, would 10 gauge stranded copper be enough?

For the wires that I run, what is a good source for terminals? (Where did Radio Shack go?) Are crimp terminals good enough, or should I consider solder-type? Or crimp and solder?

Once I am convinced that the engine in this project will run, I expect that I will be purchasing a basic 12 circuit wiring harness kit as suggested by Bartamos (one year and one day ago!).

When I purchased my project, I was not aware that this forum existed…now I wonder how much more lost I would be without it!

Thanks All!


Nick
1940 KC Model 1/2 Ton Pickup Project
(with '37-'39 Bed and what we think is a '42-'46 Frame)
Taos, New Mexico
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,476
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,476
Assuming you are not adding any big time electrical load like A/C, a huge sound system or low-rider type hydraulics ....

I'd run larger than 4 gauge wires for the battery cables. #2 or even 0.

I'd run only the battery + to the stomp switch and stomp switch to where ever else you need you need "hot all the time" voltage, which in stock wiring is just the ammeter + and on to the horn. Run #6 wire from the alternator output to the stomp switch. I'd use a 3 wire (not 1 wire) alternator with the "sense" wire hooked to somewhere convenient past the ignition switch's "run" terminal.

These wire size are oversize, but you'll never have to worry about them being undersized.

Proper crimping is sufficient without soldering. And heat shrink tubing is your friend.

Wire size table attached.
Attachments
Wiresize.jpg (69.25 KB, 158 downloads)


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 380
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 380
Thanks Bill!

After living on a boat for a couple of years, I have a decent crimper for smaller gauge wire, but what should I use to terminate #2 or 0 gauge cables use if I don't purchase pre-made units?

Also, what is a good source for terminals to use with 6-10 gauge wires? (Is there much quality difference between brands?)


Nick
1940 KC Model 1/2 Ton Pickup Project
(with '37-'39 Bed and what we think is a '42-'46 Frame)
Taos, New Mexico
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
I use #0 welding cable for battery hot and ground cables. It's more flexible and has many more strands of wire than regular battery cable. #6 or #8 wire is plenty for charging system wiring and body to frame and bed grounds. I like to run the battery ground cable to the bell housing or a starter mounting bolt to minimize the number of connections that carry starting current.

This tool and a 3 pound hammer does a good job of crimping battery cable terminals:

www.ebay.com/itm/134215874570?

Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
Lug crimper cost and styles can be as cheap as what Jerry shared, or as expensive as a Milwaukee cordless deal at $6000, plus every style in between.
Attachments
cheaplugcrimper.jpg (19.61 KB, 112 downloads)
expensivelugcrimper.jpg (21.39 KB, 113 downloads)

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
BTW, my favorite at the moment is similar to this Harbor Freight hydraulic style. They have it listed at $70, but I've found similar as cheap as $40.
Attachments
hydrauliclugcrimper.jpg (25.11 KB, 111 downloads)

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
I also keep a good supply of various diameters of heat shrink tubing to reinforce those crimped connectors and wire splices. Shrink tubing is able to compress to half its diameter when activated with a propane torch, a lighter, or a hot air gun. When making splices in a wire bundle, I prefer to wrap the wire strands together tightly, solder the connection, and cover the splice with shrink tube. It's a lot less bulky, and is less susceptible to getting loose than a crimped splice.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,198
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,198
Get a good ratchet style crimper and you should be good to go. Mine is made by AMP - not cheap but at least 30 years old it's been a good investment.

For the battery to ground and starter connections, I buy the off the shelf cables at the local auto parts store. Ready to go; no cutting or crimping. Neat and time saving.

I'm using the common 63 A 10SI alternator. I use 10 gauge from ammeter to the alternator; works fine. Lots of previous discussions on this forum on how to connect alternator up so engine will shut off when you want it to.


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
Battery to starter, As big of cable as you can afford, welding cable is flexible and works just as good. 1/0 to 00, 4 gauge is not big enough.

Starter to coil, 18 gauge minimum, 14-16 gauge if you have it. 10 gauge not needed. Alligator clips will get the job done, not a lot amps here.

Alternator or generator, 10 gauge minimum, 4 gauge if running a lot of accessories, 8 gauge is probably about right. No real need to wire up the alternator unless you plan on a lot of run time.

I'm on the side of, you can never have to big of a wire. But with that comes routing and connectors, the bigger the connector the more they cost.

I strip the plastic off crimp connectors, add shrink sleeve to the wire and solder all my connectors on, then I shrink sleeve over them. To me they look more professional.

I made my whole wire harness from a harness I stripped out of a school bus. It had all numbered and colored wires 10 to 16 gauge wires. Its big and heavy duty, but in the last 26 years I have never had a light flicker or the truck never start.

On my engine test stand I built for V8 engines, it has 000 battery cable coming off a 950 cca battery. It has never failed to start a new engine. I use alligator clips on the wire ends for easy hook up and mechanical oil and water gauges.

How to crimp wires, https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/crimping-tutorial.1127519/

Last edited by Joe H; 01/24/2026 3:29 PM.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
Gauge panel for test stand I built. Pull switches for Ignition and fuel pump, push button for starter. mechanical water, oil gauge, vacuum gauge for tuning, tack for rpm. Fans are from a wrecked school bus under-bus A/C condenser. It takes all four to keep a new engine cool running at 2500 rpm for 30 minutes. I have since turned the radiator around so the air from the fan hits the engine, they used to blow out away from it. The air across the headers helps cool the whole thing down. I always have a water hose close by for added cooling if needed. Once the engine starts, I do everything I can to keep them running, tune on the fly. Once the break-in is done, I can slow it down and set the adjustments.

The fans run right off the battery with 8 gauge power and ground, two fans per switch. With all four running you can hear the engine slow down from the drag on the alternator.
Attachments
DSCN0675.JPG (232.04 KB, 67 downloads)
DSCN0677.JPG (203.3 KB, 67 downloads)

Last edited by Joe H; 01/24/2026 3:31 PM.
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,198
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,198
Re: the connectors....

Many are sold in sets, often with an extremely cheap crimper included. Connectors can be very thin with shiny plating, easily bent. Plastic sleeve may split when crimping. It's frustrating when a male and female connector don't fit properly.

I have had good luck with PICO brand connectors.


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 380
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 380
Thanks for all the input!

Suggested wire sizes are helpful. It makes sense to me to go perhaps a bit oversize with the wiring.

I have a decent quality ratcheting crimper tool.

I have ordered some Pico terminals.

I am setting things up for this test run with temporary ignition switch, oil pressure, water temp, and voltage gauges on a panel right next to the engine, although I don't expect to run it for long at all with this temporary setup.

(This project came to me with the story that it was a crate engine. The block and head were cast on the same day in late '53. But inconsistencies in paint colors have me thinking that at best, it has been rebuilt.)


Nick
1940 KC Model 1/2 Ton Pickup Project
(with '37-'39 Bed and what we think is a '42-'46 Frame)
Taos, New Mexico
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,493
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,493
I just started to use U shaped crimp connectors, that look like factory made crimps. Once sleeved with heat shrink they are very thin. You need crimpers specifically made for these connectors and it took a bit of a learning curve before I consistently got good crimps. I believe they are superior to barrel crimps as they crimp, not only the bare wire, but the cable too. I also bought ring and spade terminals for my upcoming rewiring job.
Attachments
IMG_1085.jpeg (55.7 KB, 61 downloads)
U shaped terminals
IMG_1086.jpeg (76.75 KB, 62 downloads)
U shaped spade terminals


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
I've used the same connecter as Phil shows above with non-ratcheting crimpers, they work really good on the smaller wire gauges. Being a school bus mechanic for 30 years one gets good at wiring, we are always adding camera's, radios, tablets, gps, etc..... I have a couple boxes of leftover connectors and harnesses it pick from.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0