The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (jmoore, Ponchogl, arustycars639), 121 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,562
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
1963 - 1972 Chevy Truck Auxiliary Overload Helper Leaf Springs for Trailing Arm/coil spring rear

Hello folks.

I am curious if any of you have trucks with these mounted on them as I am curious how they mount.

I have seen diagrams on various parts sites, so I get the idea of how/where it mounts.

I was just curious how they really look, mounted up on the frame, if they clear a spare under the bed, etc..

I have come across a few sets for sale, thought it might be neat to add some to my old '65, but not something I actually need, just thought it would be fun.

So, poking around doing research, thanks.

-Woog

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,964
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,964
Woog - This web catalog page from LMC for an Auxiliary Overload Helper Spring (pictured below) is what popped up in my initial search on the web.

The 2nd pic below is one I found at 67-72chevytrucks.com board.

From what I can see, these being mounted on the frame rail itself should not cause any interference with spare tire.
Attachments


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
ah, interesting.

I was looking for photos, I have seen the various diagrams on the parts sites.

Thanks.

If anyone has any existing photos, I'd love to see them or you can email them to me.

Let me know, thanks.

-Woog

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,964
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,964
Woog - The 2nd pic I attached is an actual photo. smile I'll see though if I can locate any more. wink


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 491
D
Unconventional Thinker
Unconventional Thinker
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 491
I think they are mounted in different ways. They are nice to have. A set I had my original 65 c20 got tossed by Pop. "I hauled your springs to the dump" I was mad, they were gone, no recovering them. Those mounted differently than what is shown in the photos above, they had attachments at the axle and the frame.


Shane

Shane's Toys...
2007 Forester XT Limited (2nd Owner)
1991 Cherokee Laredo (2nd Owner)
1981 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside 8,600 Camper Special (3rd Owner)
1965 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside (3rd Owner)
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,964
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,964
Woog - Here's another picture of a '69 C20 chassis with the helper springs installed, also from the 67-72chevytrucks.com board.

In this one you can see the auxillary springs mount on the exterior sides of the frame rails, well clear of the spare tire area between the rails. wink
Attachments


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
Thanks Gdads51.

So, that is how they mount up, ok, I get it now.

Outside of the frame rail and pointing towards the rear axle.

Thanks for the replies folks.

If anyone comes along and has photos, information to add, please do.

-Woog


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0