The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1578687 06/01/2025 6:56 PM
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,686
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,686
I strongly suspect they have neutered the old-school green coolant. Seems to lose its anti-corrosion properties in just over a year. At least that has been the case for me.

A lot of the new yellow stuff is advertised as 10 year life. I wouldn’t push it that long but wonder if I might get longer from it.

Anyone running the yellow flavor in their Stovebolt?


1951 3100
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
When you say "yellow", what type do you mean?

The only one I am familiar with as yellow is the prestne universal stuff.

Do you mean dex-cool? It is the modern GM coolant that is orange-ish red.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,802
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,802
The yellow stuff uses some sort of organic additive while the green stuff uses an inorganic additive. They're both ethylene glycol based, however.

Supposedly the yellow is meant for longer life. I generally try to stick with the tried and true green ethylene glycol.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,686
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,686
Originally Posted by Fibonachu
When you say "yellow", what type do you mean?

The only one I am familiar with as yellow is the prestne universal stuff.

Do you mean dex-cool? It is the modern GM coolant that is orange-ish red.

Yes….that. I think there are some generic version but the universal as Prestone sells.


1951 3100
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,489
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,489
I'm using the Prestone yellow-ish stuff and it seems okay. I could not find any of the undiluted green stuff around here, asked a friend who manages an O'Reilly's store and he said they usually had it but there was some sort of supply chain issue at the time I was buying it. I'm not certain there is much difference to be honest. The Prestone yellow said it was compatible with just about anything.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,802
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,802
FYI, Undiluted green is often scarce around here too. I've taken to ordering several gallons at a time from Rock Auto. It's less than $8 per gal for FVP or $969 for Zerex. Even with shipping it's cheaper than the local auto parts stores. Every color of the rainbow.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/cooling+system,fluid+/+chemical,coolant+/+antifreeze,11393


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,802
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,802
Does anyone know why we had green ethylene glycol for decades , then suddenly we have 10+ different colors/blends?

What precipitated this and what are the differences?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Green coolant uses Inorganic Additive Technology for corrosion protection. There is also Organic Acid Technology and Hybrid Organic Acid Technology, a combination of IAT and OAT. I think the different colors are the manufacturer's attempt to identify the differences in corrosion protection technology. Back in the 20's and 30's antifreeze was alcohol based.

[on edit] Here is a good reference on coolants.

Last edited by klhansen; 06/03/2025 2:00 AM.

Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
The only time I needed the yellow was for a generator with the Ford 4.2 engine, cast iron block and aluminum heads, the yellow was the spec antifreeze.


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0