Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (55shaker, 1946chevytruck, Otto Skorzeny, Wayne67vert, Wheelie, Shaffer's1950, 1955 1 Series, 1 invisible),
119
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,114 Posts1,056,605 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2020 Posts: 68 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2020 Posts: 68 | I have been trying for years to get my cowl vent to stop leaking, I have changed the seal, filled in holes, adjusted the seal several times. Does anyone know a trick get the vent to stop leaking, it's a real pain when it rains.
Mike
| | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,107 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,107 | I got a cowl seal from one of the vendors that was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. It was way too thick and stiff and made the vent stick up above the cowl. I went with the more original style foam seal, although I haven't had my truck out in the rain yet to be sure it doesn't leak.
You might need to look at the lower edge of the vent that contacts the seal to be sure that it's smooth. Also be sure that the drain tube isn't plugged.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | A good cork seal works best for me. A spring that's lost tension won't pull the vent down into the cork to seal out rain......the rubber gaskets have never worked for me on my 52 or the 37 | | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,971 Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT | | Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,971 | Mike - One other thing to check is the drain tube itself. If it's not plugged, it could be it has a crack in it (they tend to get brittle and crack over the years). I would also check the rubber tube to steel drain tube connection. Did you apply any sealant to the metal drain pipe when installing the rubber tube? They were originally installed with sealant to prevent leakage at the metal to rubber drain joint, which is inside the cab and leakage would run down your firewall to the floor. 
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100Follow this story in the DITY Gallery"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2020 Posts: 68 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2020 Posts: 68 | I have the rubber seal, sounds like I might need to switch to a foam or cork seal. I fixed the drain pipe and added a new tube, it works I know because water runs out of it onto the ground. The seal just doesnt seem to stop water from coming in though. If I get a new seal, should I use sealant like RTV? I had RTV on the rubber gasket and it still leaked.
Mike
| | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,107 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,107 | I would put some sealant on the bottom of the seal.
Another thing to check is to be sure that there aren't any rust holes in the bottom of the trough where the seal goes. Those would need to be sealed up. RTV would work for that as well as for the bottom of the seal.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2020 Posts: 68 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2020 Posts: 68 | I ad a bunch of rust holes in the trough and patched them up with JB Weld, but the thing is still leaking. I think that I am not getting the rubber gasket positioned right, I also think I am going to switch to a cork or foam gasket. Thanks everyone!
Mike
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,971 Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT | | Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,971 | Mike - Something to try with whatever gasket you use next. Once everything is in place, adhesive/sealant dried, etc., take a piece of chalk and rub over the seal surface that should contact the door underside sealing area. Then close the door (fully latched position) and reopen to check for chalk transfer to the underside of the door sealing surface. If you don't have chalk transfer all around the perimeter of the door sealing surface it still not sealed. You should be able to see where it's not touching (no chalk transfer) and use that as food for thought on how to correct the problem (thicker gasket, more pull down on the operating latch setting, etc.). Best of luck and please let us know how things turn out. 
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100Follow this story in the DITY Gallery"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,293 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,293 | I was chasing my tail looking for a "cowl vent leak", only to finally discover that the leak was coming through a screw hole in the cowl which holds the cowl hood seal in place. Those screws require sealant according to The Manual.
I use 2 foam seals. I put one where it belongs, and the second one on the underside of the vent door. In order to make the one to fit on the underside of the vent door, you need to cut it to reduce the width and the length. I tiny dab of weatherstrip cement will hold the cut ends together.
The foam is soft enough to fully close the vent. The original seal relies on seal-to-metal contact to keep water out. The use of two foam seals relies on seal-to-seal contact. It ain't gonna leak.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | |
| |