| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,253 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 | Does a Solar Powered Auto Darkening Helmet have to be used outdoors? Am I reading too much into the word "solar". Will indoor incandescent / flourescent lighting keep it charged?
"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 | I think it will be fine if they use Darkness Emitting Diodes (DEDs). | | | | | Joined: Jun 2001 Posts: 169 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2001 Posts: 169 | If it doesn't have a backup battery I wouldn't buy it. I have a Hobart solar helmet that ONLY works when it has been set out in the bright sun for and hour or two.
I just bought a Miller Elite to replace it. If you don't believe me I'll sell you the Hobart for CHEAP! Heck! I'll GIVE it to you for shipping cost!!!!
Paul | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 60 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 60 | I didnt think the sun ever came out in seattle.... | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 | bought a cheap battery powered one from harbor freight. works ok. change battery every 4 months for 50 cents | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | Baldy,
I have done a search on your DED's...where can I get some for a project I am contemplating that requires total darkness?
Stuart. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 45 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 45 | Originally posted by Paul Wisner: If it doesn't have a backup battery I wouldn't buy it. I have a Hobart solar helmet that ONLY works when it has been set out in the bright sun for and hour or two.
I just bought a Miller Elite to replace it. If you don't believe me I'll sell you the Hobart for CHEAP! Heck! I'll GIVE it to you for shipping cost!!!!
Paul I have the electronics skills & tools to add a battery backup to an auto-darkening helmet, and most of my welding work is outside anyway... Do you have paypal? I'd be happy to take you up on your offer, heck I'll even toss you $10+shipping for the thing. email me kris (at) speedyoldtruck (dot) com, thanks. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 | atomarc,
Easiest way to get them is to exceed the PIV of standard LEDs. Unfortunately you won't be in as complete darkness as some. | | |
| |
| |