Have a ‘47 Chev. 3100 with a steering wheel horn button I can’t figure out. I’m assembling it wrong or something’s warn or it’s an operator malfunction!
Not sure of assembly order. Can’t find a diagram to help. Steering wheel- spring- contact plate- nut- horn button? I know it’s wired live and when you press the horn button the circuit is completed and horn blows.
Problem is when I put the contact plate around the steering shaft a contact is made, blowing the horn.
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
I tried to find it but couldn't. I am pretty certain , though that the spring goes on first and then the steering wheel.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Jim, I think some helpful instructions and pictures can be found in the Kip Bonds Repairing Your Horn Legacy Tech Tip. Even though this was on his '41, I think the sequence and parts are the same for your '47.
An excerpt of the sequence of reassembly is in the screen shot below.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Is the '47 assembly any different than a '50? Are you assembling this with the battery connected? If so, I would disconnect the battery to make it easier. Also if similar to a '50 what I see above missing is the contact pin. Thus: Spring wheel contact pin plate nut horn button
Craig
My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
My truck is a ‘47 AD. I think it was an early “hybrid.” Parts scavenged from many vehicles over the years! The innards of my wheel aren’t the same as rage Bins photos. Inhave a flat plate and no prongs on the conical insert. I’m thinking perhaps this was left over parts from the Art Deco model ‘46.
I did find an article and picture that resembled what I have. Went to Ace and got a temporary spring and played with the parts until I goy it to work. Seems I found the horn button seems to “rock” due to the spring leading to the horn working. I have ordered a spring but from a ‘46/model for a better fit.
Bottom line is....it works! Even though I may have jerry-rigged I! Just have to tweak it I guess.
My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.