The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (5 Window 9434, Jon G, John Dlugos, jmoore, moparguy), 96 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,325
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2024
Posts: 28
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2024
Posts: 28
I am looking to move the tank to the rear and put the filer in the tail light on my 61. I don’t find a tank the says it fits the 61 K 10. I do find some 15 gal universals tanks that size wise would fit between the rails. Is there some issue with fitting a side fill tank in the 61 4x4? Is there another option that bigger than 15 gal. Thanks

Last edited by Gdads51; 02/08/2025 11:12 PM. Reason: add detail to title

GSS
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Just a question, have you confirmed there is enough space between the top of the frame rail and the bottom of the bed to get the filler hose over to the taillight?

Would this work? Tanks Inc has lots of tanks to look at...

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/...764/category_id=133/mode=prod/prd764.htm

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
I agree with Mike. Check out Tanks Inc in Iowa. They may have something or could build you what you need. I know others on this site have utilized OEM tanks from other vehicles. Hopefully, one of them will chime in and help solve your dilemma.

If all else fails, you may just have to grab a tape measure and hit the scrap yards.

I agree, 15 gallons doesn’t seem big enough for a full size truck.

Good luck.

John

Last edited by J Lucas; 02/08/2025 4:41 PM.

~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Jun 2024
Posts: 28
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2024
Posts: 28
Thanks! That could be an issue, There is 2.25 inches. I am fairly sure I could shim the cross supports to get a little more. The truck is lifted so I would have to drop the gate every time I filled it with a bed fill, and I don’t like the idea of dragging a hose over the paint.


GSS
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
Originally Posted by J Lucas
I agree, 15 gallons doesn’t seem big enough for a full size truck.

Good luck.

John


Standard tank is 16 1/2 gallon, RPO tank 20 1/2 gallon.
I found a nice RPO tank in a salvage yard C60 several years ago, helps with range anxiety!
Didn't matter much when these rigs were new, gas station in every small town.

Last edited by Gdads51; 02/08/2025 11:10 PM. Reason: fix quote to display correctly

BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,465
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,465
15 gallons may not sound big enough, but if this truck doesn't get driven a lot a smaller tank would reduce the amount of "go bad" that happens when today's gas sits in the tank for months.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Jun 2024
Posts: 28
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2024
Posts: 28
I planning on it being a driver. I got a drive-chain engine transmission from a 2004 1500. Still got to get a right side dump transfer case. I think that set up will put me at 15-16 mpg.


GSS
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,902
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,902
Gary - Here is one of several older threads related to moving the fuel tank as you described. But it (and the other thread referred to inside this one) might have more connection with your stated later engine as it includes a provision for an in-tank fuel pump.

Also, if you want to go with a larger capacity tank, this 18 gallon tank might work if you have the space to fit it in.


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 378
R
RLB Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 378
I used a 21 gal side fill kit from one of the vendors, don’t recall which one, in my 66 c10 short stepside. I know several vendors sell it as I viewed a how to U-turned video from Brothers. Details are in my Project thread. FWIW, tank is said to be a Blazer unit. Thinking about it, I believe it came from CJ Pony.


1966 C-10 Short Stepside
HiPo
Step-by-step ~ and on-going resto build
in the Project Journals
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Originally Posted by Gary Smith
Thanks! There is 2.25 inches.

The tank I linked above has a 1-1/4" filler neck and 1-1/4" fuel hose has a 1-3/4" diameter, so you should be able to use that tank. I believe it's also setup for using a in-tank fuel pump which you might need with your newer engine setup.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Jun 2024
Posts: 28
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2024
Posts: 28
Thanks


GSS

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0