The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gray_Ghost, TUTS 59, Jon G, Wally / Montana, Simon1954, rfs56trk), 249 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,157
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1567276 01/03/2025 6:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 26
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 26
Hello
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good stain/sealer that could be used on the wood strips on my 1950 GMC 1/2 ton.The wood is white pine and was bought as a kit. I have used Minwax stain with a urethane sealer which lasted about 3 years. Note: the truck does not sit outside except for short drives and shows.
Thank you

Last edited by Rmcea; 01/03/2025 6:34 PM.
Rmcea #1567280 01/03/2025 8:01 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,193
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,193
I used Minwax Helmsmen spar urethane on my maple boards and I'm pleased with it; it's held up very well. Like yours, our truck is a garage queen.

I did not stain the wood first. I wonder if the stain you used is compatible with the sealer?

Helmsman


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Rmcea #1567287 01/03/2025 10:19 PM
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,802
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,802
I am a strong believer / promoter of Cabot Semi-Solid, oil based stain. I used it on my mom's barn. The previous application lasted 18+ years before fading.

This picture was taken a few days before Christmas. The barn was stained 4 years ago. This is in Georgia so the sun beats on it relentlessly.

The siding is T1-11 plywood, which hasn't rotted or deteriorated in any way over the last 42 years. No sealer needed with oil based stain. Applied to a truck bed that sits in a garage, it should last forever.
Attachments
Roy's Truck with Firewood Dec 2024.jpg (98.98 KB, 129 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Rmcea #1567580 01/07/2025 5:38 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Since I am going to use my truck as a truck and not a show Truck I am going to go old school and just use Boiled Linseed Oil. I have used Linseed oil for a couple of other projects. My process is this. Coat every side (6) of each board. Once a day for a Week. Once a week for a Month. Once a Month for a Year. Then Once a year from then one. Now I Realize that getting all the Edges after assembly is not going to be possible. I am figuring that I will assemble the bed wood after the "Once a Week for a Month" step. Then I will just coat the Top and Bottom from that point on.


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,963
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,963
Originally Posted by Gord&Fran
I used Minwax Helmsmen spar urethane on my maple boards and I'm pleased with it; it's held up very well. Like yours, our truck is a garage queen.

I did not stain the wood first. I wonder if the stain you used is compatible with the sealer?

Helmsman

Show or not , a good finish is a good finish. Yeah,I`d use a spar finish. I think I did 8 coats.
Attachments
wood.JPG (255.31 KB, 85 downloads)
varnish.JPG (49.3 KB, 86 downloads)


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 26
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 26
Thanks for your suggestion


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0