The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ponchogl, 50Chevy3100, BC59, 1 invisible), 114 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,345
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1556656 08/28/2024 11:59 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 76
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 76
I have not been on the site for a while but have searched for the information I am looking for without any luck. I have installed a MII front suspension that will utilize coil over shocks, but have run into a problem. I am being told I need to know the weight of the front of the truck to start to select my coil springs spring rate. The truck is torn apart and that is currently impossible, I hate to guess and have to buy multiple sets of coil springs to get this right. I am sure I am not the first person to do this MII conversion, does anyone have a front end weight, the weight of the truck with just the front tires on the scale? I am hoping to find a weight with a MII conversion with similar improvements as my truck. I currently have a 350 SBC, a 700R4 transmission, aluminum radiator and no air. Probably a standard upgrade from stock, just a daily driver. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Go to the GM web site and look at page 15 for the factory front and rear axle weights. Your V8 will be about the same as the 216. Curb weight is right at 1600# for the front axle...is that what you needed?

https://www.gm.com/content/dam/comp...hevrolet-trucks/1939-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 76
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 76
Mike,

That is the weight I am looking for. I had already found that weight, and thought the same about the 216 vs the 350. I think the 350 weight is about 70 lbs. less. I also think the 700R4 is more than the stock transmission, but I don't know how much. I can use the 1600 lb. weight but was wondering if anyone had a more exact weight with a MII conversion the 350, and an automatic transmission? The reason I am asking is because when I look at the manufacturer coil over spring rate chart the 500 lb. spring rate tops out at 1550 lbs. and the 600 lb. spring rate starts at 1550 lbs. So I am real close to either spring and just want to do this once. Not sure I am making a big deal about the weight just thought I would ask to see if anyone else has recently weighed their truck to select coil over springs?

Thanks again,
Mike

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
He is what I sent to Detroit spring when they made new leafs for my '37.
250 inline six, twin carb, stock exhaust
Aluminum radiator
stock front axle
disk brakes ( '70 Camaro/Firebird )
radial tires, GM wheels
No A/C at this time, it has since been added.
1/2 tank gas, behind rear axle mounted.
Oak floor in bed
Pretty much stock interior

I can't find the ticket from when I got the springs, but I believe the spring was about 1/2 of what stock was. I will keep looking and post it if I find it.

Joe
Attachments
'37 truck weights.pdf (59.27 KB, 4 downloads)

Last edited by Joe H; 08/29/2024 5:12 PM.
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 76
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 76
Joe,

That is real helpful. I am just curious what transmission is in your 37? I think you have confirmed what I have been guessing. Looks like the front weight of your truck is just below 1600 Lbs. I was going to use 1600 but I weighed the 216 and stock transmission for a total of 686 Lbs. and then I weighed the 350 and the 700R4 for a total weight of 634 Lbs. That comes to roughly 50 Lbs. less than the 1600 Lbs. from the book. After discussing with the manufacturer again they recommend the 500 Lb. spring rate, even though 1550 is the max rating. They indicate if the ride is to soft I can add dampening through the adjustments.

I would still be interested if anyone has a early truck with a MII conversion, 350 and automatic trans front end weight.

Thanks again,
Mike

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,083
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,083
This is good stuff in here. Been suggested that this is "another good candidate for the HiPo forum." Moved it. (Remember, info in a good place helps other down the road when they are searching. smile )


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
I have a turbo 350. Mine also has fiberglass fenders, the rears are really thick and weigh more than the steel ones did. The fronts were about equal to steel. Engine weight for 250 is some where around 460-470 lbs. Mine is in the 1600 lbs total and a little more than 1400 lbs above the springs, but the engine is about 200 lbs lighter, so yours should be around 1550 - 1600 above the springs including your cross member and steering.
So, good guess!

Last edited by Joe H; 08/30/2024 1:00 PM.

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0