The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (DadsFirstPickup, Rusted Nut), 78 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,075
Posts1,056,279
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 36
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 36
Hi Bolters,

I live in Houston Tx, (Katy actually) and I need to find a windshield installer for my 54 GMC truck with the Trim. Is there a good reputable shop/Installer that I can contact? Would like to have them come to my shop (airconditioned) to install it, but will take it to a shop if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this.

Mike

Last edited by Peggy M; 08/20/2024 2:32 PM. Reason: added more info to the title

1954 GMC Series 1
102-24 Series 1/2 Ton Long Bed
248 to a Hydramatic
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,502
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,502
Sorry but I don't know anyone I could suggest in the Katy/Houston area. You probably already know this but Safelite and similar type firms will be of no use since they're all young people trained only to install windshields in modern vehicles (which are notably different than the old style). Adding the stainless trim will throw them into a tizzy, too. You'll need to ask around and see if there are still any older guys doing this. Possibly an older body shop if one still exists. Good luck!


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,081
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,081
Mike, would you like me to move this post over to the Texas Connection Side Lot? There are a number of folks who are active on the site from the Houston area. You are on that list. wink


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
Dirty Leg Inc.
5.0 27 Google reviews
Address: 2613 S Front St Unit H, Angleton, TX 77515
Phone: (979) 417-1043

He hasn't done any work for me, but Rob Valentine at Dirty Leg has a reputation for being a good glass guy. I don't know his partner's qualifications, or who else works with them- There may be a shop full of guys who can take care of you. Rob has a day job that keeps him out of town, but I imagine you could get something scheduled.

Joined: Apr 2024
Posts: 237
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2024
Posts: 237
Just had windshield with trim and rear window installed in my 56 at my house and had same problem. Did finally find someone but too far from you up here in Hico. 60 miles northwest of Waco.

Last edited by MickeyP; 08/20/2024 9:13 PM.

1956 3100 three speed 6 cyl. Stock with a few upgrades.
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 36
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 36
Hi Peggy,
Please move this to the Texas group, thank yuu


1954 GMC Series 1
102-24 Series 1/2 Ton Long Bed
248 to a Hydramatic
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 36
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 36
I will reach out to Rob and see if he is available. Thank you


1954 GMC Series 1
102-24 Series 1/2 Ton Long Bed
248 to a Hydramatic
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 36
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 36
I have contacted some shops that say they work on vintage vehicle glass, but only one has replied thus far and wanted me to take the vehicle to them, and charge a small fortune for it.

A friend and I have tried to several times to install it, first time was a disaster, trying to install with sealant. Stuff got everywhere and added a time element that was not good. Tried several times after without the sealant, but could never get the top of the seal and trim to cooperate. Got really close a few times but dang is that a bear.


1954 GMC Series 1
102-24 Series 1/2 Ton Long Bed
248 to a Hydramatic
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Mike, I was able to hire a safelite guy on the side and on his own time. He had all the tools and had done a few. You might be able to find a guy by talking one of them… just a thought.

Chris

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 86
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 86
Hi Jon... I dont have any Houston area references or contacts... I'm in the Dallas metro area.

Sometime early this Spring I decided I didnt want to "fight" my '53 3100 windshield on my own, and the only place I could find up here was/is: Deep Ellum Auto Glass | https://deepellumautoglass.com/

There are a pretty full "handful" of classic "speed shops" operating around here - including Gas Monkey Garage. All of the one I talked to use Deep Ellum Glass and dont do the old windshields in house... They (one fella) came to my house and did the job on my driveway... He made it look so easy I was almost ashamed of myself. I got over that though, and was very glad.

Maybe you can contact them and they'll know (or send?) someone in Houston.

Good luck.


1953 Chevy 3100
Father and Son project
In the Stovebolt Gallery
46 GMC 303 1.5T

Moderated by  ndkid275 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0