The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shade Baby, 1955 1 Series, 55shaker, Wally / Montana), 119 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,448
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 64
T
TKM
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 64
Converted my 1949 3600 to 12V a few years ago and kept the 6V starter. Unfortunately, the 6V starter is on its last legs intend to replace it with a 12V starter. Any recommendations on a source for a 12 volt?

Last edited by Peggy M; 07/25/2024 6:05 PM. Reason: added more info to the title
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
A 6v starter can be used with a 12v system without any problems.. Just don't hold the key for long time if it doesn't start in a few seconds.

Switching to a 12v starter will require a new flywheel since 6v and 12v starters have different gearing.

Have the old starter rebuilt. There are a lot of qualified rebuilders. I'm sure there is an old time auto electric place up there in Detroit that can rebuild your old one.

If not, call Then and Now Automotive. www.then-now.com


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,468
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,468
I had funny noises in my 6 volt starter years ago and solved them like this.

Still working well on 12 volts now.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
As suggested, get the 6V one rebuilt. I had my 6V starter rebuilt and it didn't cost much. Nice to support a local business.

Last edited by Gord&Fran; 07/25/2024 11:27 PM.

Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
A six volt starter will turn the engine over faster than a 12 volt starter believe it or not. If the bearings and brushes are in good shape, they work fine last long time.
I drove my 3100 all the way across a level parking lot with the key off. I mashed the stomp starter, let the clutch out gingerly in first gear and off I went. I couldn't go fast enough to shift into second before I ran out of parking lot. Starter survived just fine.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 64
T
TKM
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 64
Thanks everybody! Didn’t realize the fly wheel would have to be changed also. I will look for a rebuilder in my area. What would I do without stovebolt.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,818
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,818
If there's nobody local, NAPA can get a rebuilt starter with a good warranty overnight in most areas. Just be sure to specify 6 volt. (1954 or earlier) There's a difference in the angle of the pinion teeth and the diameter of the armature shaft from the 12 volt units. The 6V has a shaft about 5/8" in diameter, while the 12V models are close to 1/2". If the original ID tag is still there, 12V starters have a red tag. 6V ID tags are black.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
Yes. I bought a brand new a starter from NAPA for $79 last December. I kept the original 1949 one because I thought it was worth more than the $19 core charge. Maybe I'll rebuild it someday.
Attachments
IMG_20231018_124630.jpg (80.96 KB, 32 downloads)
IMG_20231018_124757.jpg (71.47 KB, 32 downloads)
IMG_20231018_124723.jpg (77.13 KB, 32 downloads)
IMG_20231018_124731.jpg (70.75 KB, 32 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0