They both look good... are the filter elements on-the-shelf items? Is one filter twice the price of the other one? Your choice. The larger one may look better on that V8.
~~ Jethro 1954 3100 Back to Life In the Dity Gallery 1951 3100 (gone) / 1956 4400 (still in the neighborhood) / 1957 6400 with dump body (retired) / 1959 3100 panel (in the woods junked) / 1978 Custom Deluxe K10 / 1993 S-10 4.3 / 2004 Chevy Crew Cab / 1945 John Deere H / 1952 John Deere B / 1966 John Deere 2510 / 1967 John Deere 1020
The 10" one looks too small and sits too high in my opinion. The 14" one is more typical, but feels too big. I like how it sits lower though.
This looks good on paper, but at 12x8.5 I feel like it will look off as well. The oval filters are harder to come by as well, which is a pretty significant con.
I think a 12" with a drop base (like the 14" one here has) would be perfect, but those don't seem to be readily available.
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Just to be contrary, I like the look of the smaller one, but your engine will like the larger one.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
I have the oval style on my 327, it was purely for the look. The filter elements are available but I opted to go with a K and N.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Being the pot-stirring contrarian that people think I am (they're right, BTW) I'm going to say "none of the above"! You need an air cleaner element about two inches taller to assure there won't be any restriction to airflow. Use the biggest diameter filter that will fit comfortably, and make it at least three inches tall. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
That looks a little short to me but I'm no expert. What ever you run I would highly recommend a K&H filter. They are pricey but it's one and done and cleanable. They are known for their flow. The air cleaner is no place to scrimp. JMHO
It is interesting that you say that about K&N filters, because every test I have seen done by someone other than them says they both flow and filter worse.
We ended up deciding to go with the 14" housing and a 3" tall filter.
As I said I'm no expert but everyone I know that races with an air cleaner uses them. Flow and filtering ability have always been a trade off. I don't understand how they could be worse at both.
Last edited by Peggy M; 07/22/202411:11 PM. Reason: Remove quote - not necessary ;)
As you can see, the K&N is much, much worse than most anything else at filtration. When it is brand new, the K&N does flow better, but it rapidly degrades with use.
For intermittent race use where you are exposing it to minimal overall use, the K&N is probably ok. For something on the street where you are putting on a lot of miles/runtime, I would not recommend it.