The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (MaxStewart, stlcardinalsguy), 86 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,619
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#154624 09/02/2007 11:32 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
Got my big girl home today.It is a 61 gmc,I thought he said it was a 64.Had a interesting drive home.I was goin down the road about 35 mph cuase the switch for the rear end is broke so its stuck in low for now,anyway the whole front end of the truck starts shakin like crazy.Did it to me twice.Whats up with that??I got a good right side door with good glass.The door on it wont shut and is held with a bunjee cord as you can see in the pics.Also got a good switch for the axle and a gas pedal and brake pedal cover.I think it has the wrong hood on it,tell me what ya think.Like I said the drive home was interesting.Everything rattlin on the gravel road and everything growlin on the paved road.Had fun though.Took my 9 year old son for a ride around the block and he loved it.Here is a pic of the two big uns .And some more pictures.

#154625 09/03/2007 1:13 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
looks like fun.

Is that a V6 I see?
What size, 351, 401, or?

The shake in the front end was probably worn out king pins, tie rod ends, drag link ends, and possibly the steering gear too.

I have an old Chevy car, 1928, that does that, go over a bump in the road and the whole front end shakes until you get the car stopped and start over.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
#154626 09/03/2007 1:22 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
those heavy duty springs you'll feel every bump empty. looks like they just used whatever was at hand to keep it going. good news is it runs nd it stops so you are starting ahead of a lot of folks here. will be watching with interest

#154627 09/03/2007 1:37 AM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
Not sure of the size of the motor but its a v-6.Everything in it works,even the heater and wipers.The original turn signal even works.Just gotta fix the shake in the front end and the 2 speed switch and its good to go.

#154628 09/03/2007 1:57 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 63
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 63
Congrads Walt. Fine looking bolt there.

#154629 09/03/2007 2:50 AM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
Walt,

That is a Chevy Hood from a '62 to '66. Also if the door you got was from the '64 1/2 ton you had mentioned in the other post, it will not fit. Only doors from '60 to '63 will work on your truck.

Check the engine numbers on the pad on the front of the engine and it will tell you what size V-6 you have.

Also sometimes when a car or truck is running down the road fine and you hit a bump and it won't stop shimmying, it can also be the pitman arm.

Keep us posted.


'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan
#154630 09/03/2007 2:53 AM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
Checked the door before I took it off and its the same.I must have misunderstood the guy when he told me the year.I guess I need to study up on the body styles.I think I'm gonna get the other door and hood off that other truck.Will the hood fit off a 1/2 ton?

#154631 09/03/2007 3:05 AM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 137
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 137
Glad to see that you were able to drive her home.
I wish mine was able to just hold air in the tires when I picked it up.
Have fun with that Great truck.


"Save your's or someone else's Grandfather's CLASSIC TRUCK"
1934 1.5-Ton Big Bolts ~ Gallery page https://www.facebook.com/Grizzle-Vintage-Parts-1446215762368948/
#154632 09/03/2007 3:40 AM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
Quote
Will the hood fit off a 1/2 ton? [/QB]
All '60 to '66 Hoods will interchange (conventional type), but there are at least 2 different types of hood latches. They should interchange too, but I never proved it on one.

An original '61 Hood is the "Cats Eye" type. I believe you can see some pictures of all the different hoods at Jolly's GMC site.


'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan
#154633 09/03/2007 3:42 AM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
Thanks for the info.Huntin parts is half the fun,right?

#154634 09/06/2007 3:16 AM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
Looked alover the engine and just found numbers on the intake behind the carb.Had to scrape the grease off to find the firing order also.The numbers I found are,2377025AR SCC 3-7-1961.

#154635 09/06/2007 3:35 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,420
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,420
Good looking truck, it has character. smile

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
#154636 09/06/2007 6:02 AM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
Well DUH!!!The engine info is on the door of the glove box.It says its a 305A.

#154637 09/06/2007 12:28 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
Walt,

The glove box door will give a whole lot of info, but there is still an engine number on the front of the block to verify it is a 305A. I can't remember the exact location, but if it's like a small block Chevy, it will be at the bottom front side of the passenger side head, on a pad, on the block itself. I believe Jolly has a picture of the location on his site.


'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan
#154638 09/06/2007 3:20 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
I did notice that one of the motor mount bolts was newer than the others and the rubber spacer looks kinda like a piece of conveyer belt.The spacers werent cut to fit perfect.Bear with me guys..I'll keep lookin for the number.Sure do appreciate the help.I aint much of a mechanic.Just swapped a few motors and tranny's,done some brakes,never really dug inside a motor.I work on my own stuff if I can and if it aint got a brain in it.So if I ask some off the wall questions now ya know.

#154639 09/06/2007 3:51 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 90
K
kwf Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 90
Nice truck. Definitely wrong hood if it's a '61. The correct hood looks like it has big eyebrows in the turn signal area. And the engine number if I remember correctly is in front of the right cylinder head or passenger side head on a flat surface. Good luck with it!

#154640 09/06/2007 3:57 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
Looked at jolly's gmc and found where the number is,but mine has no number in that spot.There is a place for it but no numbers.Is there supposed to be a tag there or are the numbers stamped in it?

#154641 09/06/2007 4:07 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
Shouldnt this truck have motor mounts on the side of the block?The only one I see is below the crank bolted to the cross member.I can see a place for a mount on the side of the block but its not there.

#154642 09/06/2007 4:28 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
OK here are some more engine pics.This is the right side of the engine and here is the mount under the crank .Here is another shot. It looks like it should have a mount just under the exhuast mainfold toward the front of the block.Its got the holes for it.Let me know what ya think.
Walt

#154643 09/06/2007 6:25 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
Quote
Originally posted by Walt Taft:
Looked at jolly's gmc and found where the number is,but mine has no number in that spot.There is a place for it but no numbers.Is there supposed to be a tag there or are the numbers stamped in it?
The numbers are stamped into the block. Take a clean rag with some kind of degreaser and clean the pad good. Some are more lightly stamped than others.


'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan
#154644 09/06/2007 6:30 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
Quote
Originally posted by Walt Taft:
Shouldnt this truck have motor mounts on the side of the block?The only one I see is below the crank bolted to the cross member.I can see a place for a mount on the side of the block but its not there.
Walt,

I don't have a V-6 here for reference but I do recall that the type of mount you have to be correct. I'm sure others will be jumping in with more info.


'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0