The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (TUTS 59, Ponchogl, Steelonsteel, Gdads51, Gray_Ghost, ESum), 92 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,125
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1542534 04/02/2024 3:32 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
Anyone have any experience with the aftermarket drain hose . I tried putting one in and it seemed to big on the outside diameter so I thought it was a heater hose and left it .looked on my parts receipt and it was on there .so I will have to find were I stored it to try again but thought I would ask before I find it and give it another try.


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,800
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,800
I cut a piece of 5/8" heater hose and stuck it right on there.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I had trouble getting my aftermarket drain hose installed to the tube inside but with a little pursuasion and some verbal abuse I was able to get it installed.

Wondering if anyone has developed an extension to get the drain to clear the engine rather than existing above the engine.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,065
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,065
I think some have extended the tube below the top of the valve cover. The factory installation had the end of the tube off to one side, not directly above the valve cover.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 261
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 261
I also just stuck some 5/8" heater hose on mine and routed it down the side of the engine. Forgot all about it until I saw this thread! When I got the truck it had been pouring water for 20 years all over the back of the engine, although honestly I'm not sure it really hurt anything in the end. But now I have a distributor back there so... it's a little more important if I get it caught outside in a rainstorm.

But now that I remember that, I should have a look as it is probably deteriorated inside the cowl!!


1949 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton - Still Solid. Regular Driver
OT Vehicles:
1925 Hudson Brougham Super Six
1950 Chevrolet Styline (Parts)
1952 Canuck Pontiac Sedan Delivery (Well Underway)
1973 F250 4x4 Highboy
1977 F250 4x4 Lowboy
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,800
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,800
Originally Posted by WICruiser
I had trouble getting my aftermarket drain hose installed to the tube inside but with a little pursuasion and some verbal abuse I was able to get it installed.

Wondering if anyone has developed an extension to get the drain to clear the engine rather than existing above the engine.

There's nothing to develop. Just get a long enough piece of 5/8" heater hose and route it all the way back to the tailpipe if you want. Use plumbing elbows or 45s to change direction if you don't want a single piece of hose.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
Thanks for the replies just have to find the hose and get it done


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
KEVINSKI #1542583 04/02/2024 10:06 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 559
My aftermarket one popped right on easy. It was very flexible.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
The only way water is going to reach that hose is if you have the vent open, unless your vent seal is leaking.
I have all mine installed on an angle to miss the valve cover.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
FWIW, I have a piece of 3/4 black rubber (the good stuff) garden hose on mine to clear the engine and hang down.


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
KEVINSKI #1543147 04/07/2024 11:03 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
Figured it out ,I was trying to put my mgb heater hose on as the drain
Attachments
IMG_5199.png (467.6 KB, 192 downloads)


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,452
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,452
Don't use English heater hose. It'll hang down on the wrong side of the engine. wink

Last edited by Bill Hanlon; 04/08/2024 8:33 PM.

'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
💂‍♂️🇬🇧


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
Ended up realizing that when I ordered the hose it was out of stock so ended up getting hose from hardware store 1.99 per foot fits good through the firewall.
Attachments
IMG_5204.png (1.01 MB, 111 downloads)


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
KEVINSKI #1544450 04/18/2024 11:43 PM
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 439
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 439
I don't know about the angle of the AD trucks but with my '37 I used some 1/2" sprinkler system Poly. Cut off a good length and use a propane or MAP torch to make a couple of quick passes over the end to soften it up and it will stretch on when inserted and cool in place. The natural curve from being in a coil helped with the angle I wanted, but a quick flash of the torch and it will conform to what you want, just don't overheat. it only need a quick pass. Trim to whatever you want for length. BTW heat works great when using poly for its intended purpose installing on the sprinkler system barbs...


Larry
Old man᠁Old truck᠁neither one goes very fast. All you need in life is TIME, PATIENCE and MONEY.
If you are missing one component, you'll need an abundance of the others two.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0