The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jon G, Otto Skorzeny, Hanks custodian, dt235sd, 3800GUY), 166 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,205
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15416 01/28/2002 1:02 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 45
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 45
How do you tell the difference between:
1937-1940 Carter w-1
1941-1948 Carter w-i
If you had one each of these laying side by side
how can you tell the difference.
Thanks now for any help you can give
Mike

#15417 01/28/2002 1:05 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 45
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 45
Carter w-1 identifiers
I would like to add for the 216 engine
sorry
Mike

#15418 01/28/2002 8:00 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
O
Oly Offline
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
Just give me the "casting number" from them and I will identify them for you.Not the part number tag- but "casting number, located on face of carburetor flange.


Oly in Oregon

Rest in Peace

1945 GMC COE Victory Truck
1953 Willys CJ3B
1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton
1958 WIFE Last series

Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
#15419 01/29/2002 2:47 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
Oly , I 'm delighted to see you can I.D these carbs .
I have one with 421 on the base , the other is 396 I think . Do you list those ?

#15420 01/29/2002 3:24 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 45
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 45
Oly
thanks for reply
I am a new guy and thought I would be ignored.
Just insecure i guess but goes to show how good this forum is.

Now to the point I have a Carter YF I cant identify. the bowl is not cast is has x2207
the base is cast and has a 1-830 on it.
I have looked several times and it could possibly be 1-630 but I think it is 1-830
It is not marked the same way as a W-1 with
a recessed # in the cast bowl.
So I could use help on identifing this YF carb.

Now to the original problem on the difference between a 37-40 and a 41-48 W1 with the same cast # on it is what I needed to know.
I found that answer the 37-40 is not vented . the 41-48 is vented with a accelerator rod running upward.
The 49 and up have an additional rod running upward for the choke.
This is what it took me all day to find out.
Now I am ready to see if the experienced agree or not.
And Oly I need identy on the YF
Thanks
Su per long huh??

#15421 01/29/2002 6:16 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
O
Oly Offline
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
Ok- the book the wife bought me deals with carbs from 35-47, but the good news is I can identify two of the carbs (one from the book, the other from memory) for you all. For others I'll need better numbers, better books or a better memory(LOL).
Dusty, your #421 is for a 41-42 chevy.
Loebig, your YF as I recall was on 50-up Nash and 50- Willys. Make that a 99% 50-up Willys. The casting number has to be 630. Seen to many to forget- I'm just slow.
I cann't locate a w1-396, Dusty, Sorry.
Loebig, if you are refering to the "Anti-percolating Unit", then you are correct.

OK, I'll bite.-- HOW are you, Loebig, a new guy, when you are Member #903 and have 32 posts?-- Inquiring minds would like to know-- MINE.(LOL)

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: oly ]


Oly in Oregon

Rest in Peace

1945 GMC COE Victory Truck
1953 Willys CJ3B
1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton
1958 WIFE Last series

Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
#15422 01/29/2002 12:48 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 45
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 45
I guess I am new to the posting and answering.
I do mostly watching and haven't had to ask any questions. The knowledge on this board is terrific. I have increased my knowledge by listening closely. My previous knowledge is
working in a salvage yard in the early 60's.
As an example in the 60's as far as the 1948-
1954 chevy trucks are concerned I would take
the parts off for the customer when they came in.
The heaviest hitters on these trucks for wanted
parts were in order. 3 speed transmission.inside door handles,starters,generators. I think the
starters related to the cold winters in Minn.
So my truck has a 4 speed 12 volt alternator.
I never had a call for a 4 speed trans. they
are one tough unit.
thanks again
Mike


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0