The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (burgundybolt, Hotrod Lincoln, wilbur53, 1 invisible), 90 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,086
Posts1,056,333
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#153985 07/25/2007 1:04 AM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 5
Y
Junior Member
Junior Member
Y Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 5
Is there a parts house for everything on these trucks? I have a '45 dump and I now have a '53 (I think) 6500, I decided that I will shorten the wheel base on the 53 and install a 68 caddilac 472 motor and about a 6' bed. I know I'll need all the stuff to rebuild the brakes, looks like I'll need rear wheel oil seals, a few other small items.
NAPA never knows what I'm talking about when I ask for parts for old stuff anymore.

#153986 07/25/2007 4:35 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Welcome to the Stovebolt Pages.

Just about everything for the smaller trucks is reproduced and a lot of the cab parts will interchange. Don't forget to try our sponsor, American Classics. (link at top of the page)

For the parts you mention, sounds like you need a new NAPA. Try NAPA's website and also Rock Auto's website.

Good luck with your project.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
#153987 07/25/2007 5:11 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 323
My local NAPA has been really good but I think it's the experience of the crew that helps in my case.

#153988 08/06/2007 3:21 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 33
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 33
My local AC Delco shop (Stroud Auto Supply) is chock full of really helpful folks and they have most of what I need either in stock or next day.


People keep asking what I want to do when I grow up. I don't understand the question.
#153989 08/07/2007 12:02 AM
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,724
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,724
Yuri,

You might also try our Links Page -- Go to the top of this page and click on "Links"

best Old Truck Links going. Or so I claim... wink

Good luck,
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
#153990 08/08/2007 7:29 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
"and install a 68 caddilac 472 motor and about a 6' bed"

The shortest CA that was made for your 6400 was 60". That requires at least an 8' body length.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
#153991 08/10/2007 4:22 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 61
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 61
I guess it depends on the area you are at. IF you are in the 'city' or urban area, not many NAPA's will know. But if you are in a rural/farm area, odds are, the parts guys will know where to look.


1948 Dodge 2 ton
1950 GMC 1 1/2 ton
1952 GMC 3/4 ton
#153992 08/15/2007 4:48 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
go to napa and ask for seal # 31870. its an skf/cr seal. i got em today across the counter in stock for 21.41 ea. thats for a 51-6100


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0