The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TUTS 59, Shof, Ponchogl, Jon G), 172 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,157
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 23
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 23
I just bout this truck at a farm auction for $300. What have I got myself into? I have a 12 valve cummins and an nv4500 I plan to swap in thus pulling the 283 and the 4 speed. I don't have it at the house yet I'm crazy excited.
Attachments
IMG_20240302_160225.jpg (321.92 KB, 187 downloads)
20240302_123455.jpg (404.11 KB, 187 downloads)


1955 Chevy 5700 LCF
"What have I got myself into?"
Follow the story of the restoration in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,074
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,074
Welcome to the site, Steve. I think the others can chime in on the "what did I get into?" comment. Some have been there, done that.

Me thinks you'll be doing some reading in the HiPo Shop. thumbs_up

Glad to see you've got the image posting down AND the signature line. Anxious to read more.


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Looks to me like you got yourself into a world of fun.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,802
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,802
That's a pretty straight truck. The bumper isn't even dented. Too bad the hood emblem is missing. Maybe it's in the cab?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Welcome to Stovebolt. Yep, I like the truck.
Besides some skinned knuckles its all good and we're here to help you. Just ask questions in the garage forums and we'll do the rest.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
Looks good, the long wheelbase makes it a 5700 as the fender emblem notes. Hang on to that 283 and 4 speed, you might be real happy with it with a lot less work than a "Frankenstein" modification. I have the 1957 model of your truck and the engine/trans does a great job. Welcome to the forum, which Decatur are you in?
Attachments
20181122_090949.JPG (601.86 KB, 156 downloads)
IMG_0599.jpg (591.71 KB, 156 downloads)

Last edited by 78buckshot; 03/06/2024 10:35 AM.

1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 23
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 23
Decatur TX. Yeah I've kinda just came to realize that the cummins will really struggle to spin fast enough to give me the road gear I'll want but I am kinda set on the "Frankenstein" swap.. I don't know. We'll see where it goes. Maybe a gear vendor gearbox might help.


1955 Chevy 5700 LCF
"What have I got myself into?"
Follow the story of the restoration in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 23
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 23
Otto I didnt see it on top of the rat turds maybe it's under them.. haha


1955 Chevy 5700 LCF
"What have I got myself into?"
Follow the story of the restoration in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,074
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,074
Steve, I know you are more into the thick of truck things right now, but when you want to wander a little more around our Virtual Garage, you may be please to see who else is in your neck of the woods -- we call them: The Texas Connection. shake

Glad to see you are out of moderation, and now a "Bolter!" -- post away!


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Welcome to the 'bolt. nice catch!


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Yep! You’ve got the Stovebolt fever! Welcome to the ‘Bolt! Nice truck! We would love it, if you could tell us a bit about your truck, its history if known and your goals.

We ‘Bolters love pictures so when you finally get her home please post more.


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,874
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,874
Welcome to the Bolt Steve! wave You have absolutely joined up with the rest of us "afflicted" Stovebolters - LOL! yahoo Looking forward to future posts as you get the truck home and pursue your plan. wink


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 548
S
Donald S.
Donald S.
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 548
Welcome Steve, it will be fun especially as you see the results of your work. Need more pictures. 📷📷


1949 Chevy Carry All
Follow the resto in the Project Journals

1953 Chevy 5-window
"Frame off Restoration"
Follow the resto in the DITY

Beginning to End Slideshow
More images in Flickr
\|/\|/ Dual Ex. \|/\|/Dynamat

Please don't tell my wife how much this thing cost!

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0