There are 2 carburetor control cables that are mounted in the dash. Current setup is that the choke cable is far left, just to the right of the headlight switch. The Throttle cable is installed far right, over the right radio knob. Is this the correct placement? And related to that, there are two 1" holes in the firewall, behind the carburetor. Which holes should be used for the 2 aforementioned cables. And, pressing my luck a bit more...I see where the choke cable attaches to the carb, but where, and how, does the throttle cable attach. Thanks in advance!
Looks like the choke is on the left of the "V" opposite the ignition switch and the throttle is above the left radio knob.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Your carburetor should have a bracket that holds the choke and throttle cable. It will look something like this.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Otto, Thanks! Big help! A follow-up question, since I am very new to the forum. My carb does not have the linkage/hardware of the throttle cable. I would assume I should find a source for a used, salvage type carb? Where would I look? Thanks again!
Yes. They are not easy to find used, I'm told. I think one of the suppliers like Jim Carter or The Filling Station sells them for a pretty penny.
Is your carburetor a Carter YF or is it a Rochester?
Last edited by Peggy M; 02/02/20249:50 PM.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Which carburetor do you have? Rochester or Carter, and model if you know it. Sometimes a tag on it. Is the manual choke hooked up? From there we can determine which mount you might need. Todd
I believe it is a Rochester B. Couldn't find a tag. The manual choke is there and works. There appears to be a threaded hole, #10?, on the rear of the carb in the coke bracketry area. The casting number is on the base of the carb. I can try to decipher it if that help. Thanks!
A picture or two is worth a thousand words... Please post picture of your carburetor and area where you now have a choke cable hooked up. Here are a few close ups. Might be similar to your final set up. Todd
Hey Todd, thanks for the pics. They really helped and made it clear that the cable housing clamp is actually still there. But what is missing, or that I need, is just the cable stop that you show at the pedal linkage. Know where I can get one. Lawn mower repair shop? I have done vintage British restorations for years. The Detroit stuff is quite foreign to me. Thanks for your patience!
Bicycle repair shops have them on hand, too. They're used for brake and shift cables.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Otto, Bingo!! I couldn't think who carries a ton of them in stock.. Bike Shops!! Although the closest bike shop to me is at least an hour and a half drive...lol. plenty of FLAPS a lot closer..
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!