Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,310 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 1,291 Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum | | Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 1,291 | Needing advice on method to remove the mainshaft from SM420 transmission. I do not have a J-2667 mainshaft and Bearing assembly remover/replacer and I'm reluctant to hammer & brass punch drive on the front of the mainshaft. Hoping someone can guide me. Thanks.
Ron - - Dusty53 1954 Chevy 3604In the Gallery Forum "You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell." "They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel." | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 228 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 228 | I would take it to a transmission shop and pay the man! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,822 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,822 |
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,195 Insomniac | | Insomniac Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,195 | I didn't need any special tools to rebuild my SM420. I don't have a press. The legs on my puller were too short so I made extensions for it. Used some steel pipe for installing the bearings. Warmed up the bearings with a heat gun and they slipped on easily. Lots of videos on YouTube on disassembly and reassembly.
Gord 🇨🇦 ---- 1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed | | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 1,291 Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum | | Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 1,291 | I didn't need any special tools to rebuild my SM420. I don't have a press. The legs on my puller were too short so I made extensions for it. Used some steel pipe for installing the bearings. Warmed up the bearings with a heat gun and they slipped on easily. Lots of videos on YouTube on disassembly and reassembly. I have a press and gear pullers. Getting the mainshaft assembly out of the case is my sticking point. I've watched many, many Youtube video's and every one I've watched skips that step. I think I'll make my own version of a J2677 "puller" and make it happen. Thanks for the input on heating the bearings, its a good method!
Ron - - Dusty53 1954 Chevy 3604In the Gallery Forum "You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell." "They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel." | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,822 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,822 | Put a crow foot puller body like the one used for a crankshaft balancer inside the case and push on the shaft with the jackscrew. No need for a special tool, I think. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 1,456 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 1,456 | Another no puller required vote.
I would add that an old toaster oven or home oven is great for bearings, however others in your household may not agree this is okay.
BC 1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc 1949 GMC 250 project in waiting 1960 C60 pasture art Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022 | | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,195 Insomniac | | Insomniac Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,195 | It fits in pretty loosely. After installing it, I temporarily installed a screw with a big washer on it to keep it from getting pushed back out again while working on the other end.
Gord 🇨🇦 ---- 1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed | | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,082 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,082 | Ron if you're planning on replacing the mainshaft bearing, you can just drive the shaft out of the case with a hammer and punch. Doing that might brinnel the bearing and ruin it, but if you're replacing it, so what?
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 1,291 Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum | | Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 1,291 | Ron if you're planning on replacing the mainshaft bearing, you can just drive the shaft out of the case with a hammer and punch. Doing that might brinnel the bearing and ruin it, but if you're replacing it, so what? Kevin, That's what I had considered doing but was uncertain if I'd cause any kind of damage to some other component.
Ron - - Dusty53 1954 Chevy 3604In the Gallery Forum "You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell." "They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel." | | |
| |