| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
177
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,619 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 | After I rebuilt the 350 in my '62 one ton,I ran it for abouty a thousand miles on regular oil,then changed over to synthetic. I drove on that for about 4 months and it didn't use even a half quart. then I drove to Reno (about 300 miles) and in that distance it used 4-1/2 quarts! Any ideas why if didn't use oil for local driving and driving less than 50 miles each way on the freeway,but when I drove a little more distance my truck started gulping the expensive oil? Speed | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | speed 6351,
I guess my thought would be it either leaked it or burned it. Have you given it a once over for leaks or did you see any smoke out the exhaust on your way to Reno. I don't think the problem can be pinned on the switch from regular to synthetic. A compression check might find a compromised cylinder...but that's a lot of oil to burn. I would think more along the lines of a leak.
Stuart | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 173 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 173 | Maybe the extended period at operating temperature allowed a leak to open up, that the shorter distances didn't allow for. I wouldn't be surprised if it opened up several leaks that the old conventional oil couldn't fit/leak through. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 | Check your positive crankcase vent valve.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 40 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 40 | Pull your spark plugs and see if its burning it. If there is a build up on one side of the plug its coming through the valve guide, if its all over its coming passed the rings. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 395 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 395 | if you have a leak of that much in 300 miles the under side will be oil soaked and dripping..as far as burning 4 qts in 300 miles you should see smoke..check pcv and plugs look at tail pipe,,maybe you broke something inside..if you cannot find problem go back to a breakin oil and run the snot out of it for another 1000...doc | | |
| |
| |