The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (KEVINSKI, 1955 1 Series, HandyAndy, Ponchogl, carbking), 101 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,619
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#153011 05/31/2007 9:57 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
After I rebuilt the 350 in my '62 one ton,I ran it for abouty a thousand miles on regular oil,then changed over to synthetic. I drove on that for about 4 months and it didn't use even a half quart. then I drove to Reno (about 300 miles) and in that distance it used 4-1/2 quarts! Any ideas why if didn't use oil for local driving and driving less than 50 miles each way on the freeway,but when I drove a little more distance my truck started gulping the expensive oil?
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
#153012 05/31/2007 3:13 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
speed 6351,

I guess my thought would be it either leaked it or burned it. Have you given it a once over for leaks or did you see any smoke out the exhaust on your way to Reno. I don't think the problem can be pinned on the switch from regular to synthetic. A compression check might find a compromised cylinder...but that's a lot of oil to burn. I would think more along the lines of a leak.

Stuart

#153013 05/31/2007 4:24 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 173
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 173
Maybe the extended period at operating temperature allowed a leak to open up, that the shorter distances didn't allow for. I wouldn't be surprised if it opened up several leaks that the old conventional oil couldn't fit/leak through.

#153014 05/31/2007 6:03 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Check your positive crankcase vent valve.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

#153015 06/02/2007 7:25 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 40
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 40
Pull your spark plugs and see if its burning it. If there is a build up on one side of the plug its coming through the valve guide, if its all over its coming passed the rings.

#153016 06/02/2007 12:13 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
if you have a leak of that much in 300 miles the under side will be oil soaked and dripping..as far as burning 4 qts in 300 miles you should see smoke..check pcv and plugs look at tail pipe,,maybe you broke something inside..if you cannot find problem go back to a breakin oil and run the snot out of it for another 1000...doc


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0