The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hotrod Lincoln, dt235sd, klhansen), 111 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,679
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
I guess this is to be expected. In my 1966 Chevrolet stepside p/u, the speedometer now doesn't work with the new 4 speed OD transmission. I'm still using the original 3 speed tranny cable.

I said the speedometer "doesn't work" but that's not exactly accurate. It works but doesn't register the correct speed. It wavers around all over the place. Do I need to replace the speedo cable? Get a new speedometer from a mid 80s truck? Or what?

-ftyler

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
ftyler,

I havent' changed my tranny - but someone did before I got mine - the post I started is still here in the Engine/Driveline shop...

Topic: odometer/speedometer gear math...

some of the other 'Bolters chimed in with some things... maybe some of it can give you a clue or a start... I'm still trying to sort it all out myself. smile

-W

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 613
Z
Member
Member
Z Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 613
did it waver with the old trans?could the inner cable be too long and pushing against the back of the speedometer causing it to bind?

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
It was very steady with the previous tranny (the original 3 speed). Just started acting up with the new 4 speed OD. Any clues?

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 68
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 68
Disconnect the speedo cable at the trans and spin it with your fingers to see if it spins freely. You could also hook up a drill to the cable and turn it to see if the speedometer bounces. The drill has to spin counter-clockwise in order for this to work. If everything is O.K. it might be the drive gear on the main shaft.


'54 3100-235-T5 trans-12 bolt 3:31
'68 Impala 307/350
'78 Sportster/Original owner
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
It's easy to pinch the cable housing when you are moving things around down there, or not get it screwed into the transmission right. Try pulling it out and putting it back in, and lubricating it with a little graphite and see if that helps.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
Yeah,check out the cable first.The speedo driven gear on the A833 is a plastic gear, the retainer is eccentric shaped, make sure it's not positioned incorrectly and binding the gear.After installing the A833 in our 51 truck, the speedo was way slow. I couldn't find the proper gear for correction so I had an adapter made by an speedo shop who advertises online,The Guage Guys.50 bucks,fast service, accurate speedo.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0