The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Southerntruck, Otto Skorzeny, Bill Hanlon, Jman, carbking, 1 invisible), 95 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,483
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 177
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 177
So I got my flywheel in that I needed for my 261 swap. When measuring across the clutch surface, I am measuring 10 7/8". Interestingly, I've found that the clutch from 42-46 had the same casting number for the regular flywheel and the heavy duty flywheel.

1. Will this require the 10 3/4" clutch discs? I'm about 95% sure it will but I want to be sure since theyre expensive. Jim Carter has new 10 3/4" ones but I haven't found them anywhere else. Everywhere else has 9 1/8, 10, and 11.

2. How hard is it to find 9 bolt pressure plates? I'm understood that they can't be had new.
Attachments
20231025_175653.jpg (430.75 KB, 108 downloads)
20231025_180346.jpg (194.22 KB, 108 downloads)
20231025_180359.jpg (188.93 KB, 108 downloads)


~ Daniel Davidson
1939/1940 Chevrolet/GMC
Follow his Project Journal
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,831
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,831
Originally Posted by Danielbolt
How hard is it to find 9 bolt pressure plates?

About 50 feet from my back door. Clutch disc and flywheel to match.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 177
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 177
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
About 50 feet from my back door. Clutch disc and flywheel to match.
Jerry

Jerry,
Does it want to go on a field trip? Not having any luck finding a new one. Looks like original part number for the pressure plate was 838954 and superseded to 3836007. I figure I'd buy a new friction disc once I verify what size it's supposed to be


~ Daniel Davidson
1939/1940 Chevrolet/GMC
Follow his Project Journal
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,831
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,831
Mine came from a spray-oiler 235 from the early 1950's. The flywheel has the 139 tooth ring gear for a 6 volt starter, I'm pretty sure. The pressure plate and disc can both be rebuilt, I'm sure. Drop me a PM so the PC Patrol doesn't get their fragile feelings hurt and let's make a deal!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,831
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,831
Is there any reason not to drill and tap the flywheel for the more common (and less expensive) 6 bolt pressure plate? The flywheel doesn't know or care how many bolts are holding the pressure plate onto it.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0