Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,120 Posts1,056,319 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | It's not a Stovebolt, nor is it mine. But it is BIG . Well, relative to our trucks. It's actually small for a Mack. I thought you guys might like to see what a friend of mine in the Baltimore-Washington Chapter of the ATHS bought last week for scrap value and had me haul home for him. We had a heck of a time getting it out of it's parking spot and turned around so I could winch it up on my trailer. It was quite the ride home -- my trailer is rated for 14,000 lobs and I think we used everybit of it. My 18,000-lb winch almost stopped getting it up and on the trailer! We think it's a truck Mack built at the end of the war on the war contract and then, when the War Dept. canceled all the contracts, Mack held onto it, added the red paint and chrome and finally sold it to a VFD in new Jersey. It has a Thermodyne and a foam tank (which is odd for a rural VFD, right?) We can't place the grill, though. Any Mack experts out there who can ID this unit? The pump and body are all Mack. Mack 1 Mack 2 Mack 3 Mack 4 Mack 5 John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Fantastic truck, John. That bulldog, red lights, & siren are priceless. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 221 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 221 | Hi John! Great looking truck. I think that truck is around 1949-50. Just a guess but when you look at some on the site below those years are similar. http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/mack.htm | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | Jarge, Yes, they are. But the grill and the Budd wheels are throwing us off. And the interior being somewhat of an olive drab color rather than the standard Mack green. I think Henry is going to contact Mack with the VIN and that ought to settle it. Still fun to try and figure it out on our own, though. And to think about how solid the truck is and that Henry paid less for it that what the siren and BeaconRay light would go for on ebay... He got a good deal and saved a neat old truck from the crusher. I think the engine alone would provide enough steel for three Avalons! John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 | I'm interested in a few small parts. Is he going to restore or scrap it? I'm specificly interested in a couple of valves from the pump panel.
BTW: A great rig! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 | Definitely the makings of a very cool truck, Foam isn’t odd for a VFD with the lack of water supply in rural areas but I do think it’s odd for the time period. Is it normal to have snow in April there or has global warming struck again? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Not bad, for scrap prices. | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 1,159 | HH - Yea, it's definitely weird to have snow now. Especially since the week before we were running around in t-shirts and had the ceiling fans on! But the snow was totally cool. It's still pretty cold out there so some last smidgens of it are out there. We'll take water any way we can get it. I think Henry got hold of that truck so it could be restored. Doubt that he'll do it. But it's solid. That Bulldog really amazed me. Henry is trying to get more of the history of the truck. He's a serious ATHS guy. Spanky, Can't wait for John to see your response! This morning when we were working in here, he said he doesn't like you. I looked at him in shock. He said, "He has too much cool stuff." Truck-envy. Totally acceptable around here. Peg
~ One of many.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Peg,"I can't help myself." I didn't mean for this to happen. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 | Restored is a good thing! It looks great for being as a scrap metal priced rig. | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | Spanky -- Good to see you interpreted my comment correctly. Not-so-deep-down, I envy the crap outta you!  I also envy your knowledge and abilities. You are The Man! John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 149 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 149 | Well lets see....... with West-coast scrap prices running at approx 75-100 bucks a ton for #1 steel...... and the truck looks to weigh approx 5-6 ton.... hummmm That would mean.... if he paid scrap value..... he must have paid around 5-600 bucks.... I'll offer to double his money for it... lol...heeheehee Michael \'48 chev 2-ton boom truck (Boomer) '49 Chev 2-ton flat bed '65 Chev 35ft school bus '88 GMC 6500 '72 Superior 26ft class "A" coach '50 Farmall "M" '71 MGB GT '68 Austin-Healey Sprite '65 Austin-Healey Sprite and various other odd British cars and lots of old radios..... Although we know what the speed of light is..... What I want to know is... How fast is the speed of DARK??
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 | John,
That is a fabulous truck, sir! MACK, until recent times, (80s-ish) made their own entire fire trucks. This one was called, I think, the Model "E", which preceded the Model "L"s. I'm away from my library, but I think late '30s through 40s. Grill is original for the Model. Probably a 750 gallon-per-minute Hale pump. I think these were standard with a straight six 505 engine, which preceeded the famous 707 six. It's probably got dual ignition (two distributors ((or one dizzy & one Magneto)) and 12 spark plugs).
The pump is driven from a transfer case post-tranny, so you first put clutch in, switch from Road to Pump, then slip it into direct gear (prob. 4th), and let clutch out.
As for foam, the truck would have a 200-500 gallon "booster tank" of water. A seperate tank for foam, much less a dedicated booster tank for foam, would be highly unusual on this era rig. Foam at this time was typically used from 5-gallon buckets with an eductor in-line on the hose, or at the pump panel. Departments could have later on adapted the truck to use a seperate foam tank that was added, though most (esp. vol.) departments wouldn't go to the trouble, I think.
Somewhere, there was a builder's plate which would give the date of manufacture. Mack did make fire trucks for the Military, I think.
Anyway, that's about all I know. That, and that it would be a shame to see this truck scrapped. Mack fire trucks were among the best ever. E Models make great hobby trucks since they're a little smaller than some, easier to handle. 'Course, not NEARLY as easy to work on as a STOVEBOLT!
-Michael | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,409 Former Workshop Owner | | Former Workshop Owner Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,409 | Love that front end.  Sounds like it was a great buy. John
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWBIn the Gallery My Flicker Photos! | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I too think it is an E model Mack. The model should be E?, like EQ, or ED, I doubt it is either, but it should be an E-something.
I have a 25 Mack model AC, I contacted the Mack museum with the serial number and received a copy of the original build sheet. It had a list of all the stuff on the truck, like the inflatable tires, cab, magneto model and serial number, carburetor model and serial number, engine serial number, and all sorts of other good stuff. They also sent me some reprints of the original sales catalog for the ACs, and a reprint of the service manual. I am sure they can help with this mack too. I believe they have the original build sheets for every Mack truck ever made.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 684 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 684 | Great looking truck that most defintly should be restored. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | John, That is a very neat truck and I hope it doesn't get parted out. In my Ultimate Truck Spotter'e Guide, on page 298 there is a picture of a 1947 3 axel Mac tractor with almost the identical grill and wheels.
Fred | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | Quick Update Henry (owner) just called me -- he just got it started! He let me listen to it run over the phone and it sounded like a warm kitten after momma's milk. So... It LIVES!!! He said the Beacon Ray works great, too. John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | That is cool... I want a ride! -W | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 482 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 482 | Roll code 3!!! Way cool!!! You have all the fun!!! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 | | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 1,159 | VA -- I don't think it is. It may be similar to it but Henry is too excited to part with this.
I'm sure John can tell more.
Peg
~ One of many.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 608 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 608 | Definitely not the same truck,the one on evilbay is an open cab,while Henrys is a closed cab. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,As Steve sits Drooling regards | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 | Thanks. I noticed both were from MD and just wondered. I didn't notice the open cab...dah... | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 1,159 | Wow, They are similar, though. Love the scene lights on that one, though.
John
~ One of many.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 1,159 | stevesr ... "evilbay" ... I love that!
Peggy (this time)
~ One of many.
| | |
| |