"Split" the original manifold and run the right kind of heat riser. "Fenton" clones made offshore are worse than useless, and tube steel headers are even worse than Fentons. What kind of race car are you building? Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
I have both Fenton’s on my 235. A duel exhaust and dual intake. Heated the intake with water. It is the system Tom Langdon sold and recommended for my truck. With the dual Weber progressive two barrel carbs. All I can say it works flawlessly. No hesitation or dead spot. Very strong running engine. The two Weber 32/36 two barrel is not over carbureted for my 235. It is only 28% larger in the primary Venturi’s than the stock one barrel carb. The Fenton duel exhaust sounds great. I have 2” pipes all the way back to the rear bumper. I could not be more pleased with this set up. I have had it up to 70mph easily. I have the stock 4.56:1 rear end but with a Gear Vendor overdrive. That gives me a final ratio of 3.55.
Friend of mine is running a set of the cheap eBay tube headers on his 235 with a mild cam, some head work, and a Tattersfield dual. He's got 2" pipe out to the back with no mufflers on his 58 Apache. It's louder than I would want on my own truck, but seems to run pretty good.
Headers raise the underhood temperature 100 degrees, burn you whenever you work on the engine, and only last a few years (vibration cracks, rust). Without a hot cam, headers add no power.
Either way, don't join the 2 exhaust pipes, leave them separate.
BTW: half of all engines & cars sold "have a mild cam". No, they don't, it's just what people like to say & hear. A cam hot enough to make a difference is a PITA to drive in traffic.
BTW: half of all engines & cars sold "have a mild cam". No, they don't, it's just what people like to say & hear. A cam hot enough to make a difference is a PITA to drive in traffic.
A mild cam is easily streetable and adding 30-40HP is plenty to make a difference in everyday driving.
A mild cam for a stovebolt might not be worth it due to the supporting airflow mods that are required to take advantage of it, but that is not a true statement for "engines and cars".
In over 200 dyno tests on "streetable" engines over a span of 25+ years, I don't think I've ever been able to gain 30-40 HP with just a cam change. I'd really like to see some documentation of someone doing that. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
There are not that many alternatives. Of course, you can cut the stock manifold and make a true split unit by welding on an additional outlet, and then welding the ends of each half. You can also cut it in half, add a baffle with a hole in it, 1 inch or smaller, to mellow out the sound, add the outlet and weld it all up. You get to keep the stock heat riser with this set up. That is assuming you have the skill and tool box to do that kind of work. Most don’t.
So one alternative is to beat the bushes pretty hard and dig up a corvette factory dual outlet manifold. these are relatively expensive but are easy to install and you get the stock style heat riser. $$ are the issue her as I have seen them go for a few hundred.
Next, vintage fentons with the heat riser. Really hard to come by. Really hard. Vintage fentons without the heat riser. More reasonable and they come up for sale once in a while.
Aftermarket fentons currently on the market. I have seen them installed on quite a few motors they seem to be reasonable quality. No heat riser.
Then there are the really crappy cheap sort of tube headers sold all over the internet. I think they are a terrible design. Don’t waste your time or money.
Real tube headers are sold by Clifford. Prior to Jack Clifford’s death, Jack sold true long tube headers. I have run the same pair of Clifford long tube headers since 1983 or so. They also turn up on eBay and Facebook market place. These are application specific. They work good, sound great. One issue, they warp on the ends. So once they cycle a few times, you have to add some weld to the flange to build it up and make it straight. There was apparently a big brew haha when Jack passed away and somehow the guy who was making Jack’s Viper brand headers destroyed all of Jack’s jigs. So there will never be any additional long tube offerings from Clifford.
The current offerings from Clifford are “shorty” tube headers. Jack’s son-in-law Larry told me those shorty headers make the same power as the long tube headers but fit better. He may be right, I don’t know, but the truth is, when the Clifford headers are open, what a sound. Not cheap but they are real headers.
In over 200 dyno tests on "streetable" engines over a span of 25+ years, I don't think I've ever been able to gain 30-40 HP with just a cam change. I'd really like to see some documentation of someone doing that. Jerry
You show me your dyno results and I will show you mine. I my daily driver dynoed at 285, I changed the cam and tuned it and it dynoed at 319. That is a 32HP gain.
How do you get a stovebolt six to produce 300+ HP? Nitrous? Or are we comparing apples and oranges? 440 MOPAR- - - -714 HP @6500 RPM on a single Quadrajet and gasoline, but it cost $12K to build it that way. 355 Chevy small block- - - -526 HP @ 7500 RPM- - - -one Holley 650 and 102 octane Pure Firebird gasoline- - - construction cost $15K. 426 MOPAR hemi- - - -dry sleeved with an epoxy filled cooling system- - - - -1400 HP on alky/nitromethane. None of those engines lasted past 500 miles between rebuilds. The hemi was lucky to make it 1000 feet total travel distance at a time before a freshen-up or a blowup. The billet crankshaft alone on that one was $7K. It's always more fun to go racing on the other guy's money! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Yeah, 40hp is very common gain when installing a modern day camshaft into an old 500cid Cadillac; replacing the tired, emissions friendly 1970s grind. My point here isn't to talk about non-Chevy engines but to illustrate the fact that camshaft tech has come a really long way since the 1960s when 'mild cam' meant poor manners in a daily driver. Might not see that much gain on a Stovebolt, but I'd buy 20-25hp improvement pretty easy versus a cam grind designed before Eisenhower was president.
Gentlemen! Please, you are straying way off the OP’s question. We are not debating how much HP gain you can get from an engine. Stick to the headers!
Last edited by Phak1; 09/21/202311:54 AM.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Pictures are gone after being held for ransom so I've attached the limit of 5. With more experience it was found that doing most of the welding while bolted to a scrap head minimized movement.
Does anyone know of a source for weld on outlets for an original exhaust manifold?
I cut the flange off a broken exhaust manifold and graft it onto an original manifold with the factory heat riser. There also needs to be a slit cut into the original manifold with a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder to install a baffle just ahead of the heat riser to split the exhaust stream between the two flanges. Leave 1/4" or so gap at the top of the passageway to allow for pressure equalizing instead of doing a full blockage. As always, preheat, peen, post heat, and bury the modified manifold in a pile of sand overnight to prevent cracks beside the welds as it cools. It's also a good idea to keep the manifold bolted to a junk cylinder head when welding to avoid warping the assembly. Use nickel-alloy arc welding rod. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
I have some aftermarket Fentons. They have threaded bungs into which I screwed brass pipe fittings for tube to carry hot exhaust to the bottom of the Offy intake plenum. I fabricated a plate for the bottom of the intake and threaded a couple of holes to receive the tubes. I've been told over and over that this cannot work but it does and has for 20 years. I did have to tighten the fittings once though.
1951 3800 1-ton "Earning its keep from the get-go" In the DITY Gallery 1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.
I have some aftermarket Fentons. They have threaded bungs into which I screwed brass pipe fittings for tube to carry hot exhaust to the bottom of the Offy intake plenum. I fabricated a plate for the bottom of the intake and threaded a couple of holes to receive the tubes. I've been told over and over that this cannot work but it does and has for 20 years. I did have to tighten the fittings once though.
Do you have a picture of that setup? I am having a hard time visualizing it.
Is the goal to replicate the effect of the exhaust riser?