The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (DadsFirstPickup, 1955 1 Series, LAROKE, 68ironhead), 105 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 237
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 237
I've got the chance to get a 261 and the 5 speed that came with it out of an old C60. I hope to be by there next week and confirm that it is a 261 and find out what model 5 speed it is. I know a bit about the 261 already, and that's why I want it. But I don't know about the tranny at all.

Was this a standard / optional transmission to couple to the 261 in a 1961 C60? or has it been "upgraded" at some point in time? Is it any good / better /worse than the SM 420? Any idea on what the low and high gear is (i.e. 7.41:1 low and 1:1 high)?

If it all works out, I plan to put this into my 1958 1 ton. I upgraded my differential to a 4.10 gear (original was 5.13) and want some more torque than the stock 235 has. I hope to get this from the 261 and maybe the 5 speed. Anybody ever put the 5 speed in a 1 ton?

Thanks all!

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Online: Content
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Online: Content
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy jhaa_lives, the five speed may have been standard or an option or an "upgrade", if it is an overdrive in fifth type that would be a definite advantage. You will probably have to shorten your driveshaft to install it, the low gear will probably be as low as the 420, hope that helps

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
Hey jhaa_lives this should give you all the info you need I think it covers every trans GMC and Chevy used from 60 to 66.

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/SM420.htm


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
HevyHauler has the link for you, check out trannys with the O as in overdrive. Good chance it will be a Clark 5-speed. If it is a 264VO, 280VO etc...on the ID plate, grab it.

The best you can do is a .80 overdrive in fifth, but should bolt up to the 235/261 bellhousing with no mods.

I am going to look at a '59 dump with 261/5-speed also. Hope to find the big "O" as well. Good Luck!



1954 4400

1954 3800

Jim D.

'41 Chevy 1-Ton Pickup/dump...292" 4-speed w/Ranger OD ... Newest Truck

'54 Chevy 3800 Dump........New Truck!
'54 Chevy 4400 flatbed/dump, Gone to my brother-in-law

'13 GMC 1500 daily driver ... 5.3 6-speed auto just turned 13k miles
'01 Chevy 2500hd, might be my new daily driver ... 6.0 / 4L80-E
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 237
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 237
So this may come as a shock to every one, but I'm actually looking for the New Process 540 GL that has the 7.44 first. I have 19.5 rims (33") and a 4.10 diffy. I figure 2500 is not too bad to run the engine at and that'll get me 60 mph. What I want is to make sure I've got that stump pulling torque in 1'st gear. However, if it turns out to be an overdrive, then I can always put my 5.13 gear back in.

I've seen the 6066 gmc guy site many times. An excellent resource. The fact that he is going to put a NP 5 speed in a 3/4 ton is encouragement that I can do it as well on my truck. I figured drive shaft work would be needed.

Now I gotta figure a way to go get it!

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 237
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 237
Finally got around to looking at this truck last weekend, as I was driving through. I'm glad I didn't make a special trip.

The "original engine" turned out to be a 250 (not even a 292). The front motor mounts were welded to the base of the block.

The "5 speed" turned out to be a SM 420. Well heck, I guess reverse is a speed!

It was an IRWIPI, sunk in the soil with rims rotting away, back end loaded full of junk, and various bits and pieces removed over time.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
That is too bad hope the guy just didn't know what he had and made a bad guess. Hate to think he was trying to pull a fast one.


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0