The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Mr Wilson, IHPWR, David Bush), 120 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,472
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1515461 09/01/2023 3:20 PM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Gents (and ladies)

After an eventful afternoon dealing with a truck that either wouldn’t stay running OR once running ran at wide open throttle, I started investigating. I found that the screws holding my carter YF throttle plate onto the (insert name of part that turns it) had come apart and the 2 screws had broke off.

Where do I find 2 screws that will fit?
Do I need to be concerned that I might have metal in my engine? (I have both screws and it appears that the soft metal had bent?)

Pics attached.

Thanks,

Chris
Attachments
IMG_1649.jpeg (190.35 KB, 92 downloads)
image.jpg (145.37 KB, 92 downloads)
IMG_1651.jpeg (202.68 KB, 92 downloads)

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,930
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,930
Chris,

Here is one source link I found using a quick search for your Carter YF throttle plate screws.

The page also shows the vendor offering a tap to use in cleaning up the threads in your throttle shaft if that is needed.

Your picture looks like the original screws were brass and yes, they probably got sucked into the engine, although they could be just resting in one of the intake runners??? No idea (without completely unbuttoning your engine) to know if they may have gotten stuck someplace "bad" and have or could cause damage.

They are however small enough that they could have been ingested and blown out without doing any damage too. If you're not hearing anything out of the ordinary, you may be fine.

Hope this helps. wink

Dan


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
I buy them from McMaster Carr, you can get a bag of them pretty cheap.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Thanks guys! I have a buddy bringing an old Rochester b that is only parts over and I’m going to see if the bolts fit. If not, I will have to buy a couple.

I would never have thought that this was the actual problem, but it does make sense that there were times that it died when I tried to give it fuel and yesterday getting wide open throttle.

I’ve never even heard of this issue previously. How common is it?

Chris

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
It looks like someone may have tried to remove them and broke the heads off because he was unaware that they're peened over on the other end.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Those screws are typically staked to keep them in place. Basically a chisel mark to expand the end of the screw that sticks thru the throttle shaft, making it more difficult to back out. But nowadays, some permanent threadlocker does the same job. Yours look like they sheared off for some reason. Maybe the last rebuilder of that carb overtightened them or they just got weak from age. Like Dan said, they may have gotten sucked into the engine, but probably got spit out thru the exhaust. Being made of brass is a plus as it's a soft metal and won't cause a lot of damage bouncing around in a cylinder.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Gents,

Thank you for your knowledge. I’m going to buy some and use thread locker. I considered taking some out of another carb, but if it is spread, it will probably cause damage to the screw.

Chris

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
I'm glad the throttle plate didn't get sucked into the engine! When you reinstall it, be aware that the holes in the plate are somewhat larger than the screws, so you can snug them slightly and tap the plate around to center it in the throttle base bore. Then do the final tightening with thread locker once you're sure the plate is centered, by removing one screw at a time and applying the locking liquid.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
To add to the good advice given so far:

(1) The Rochester screws are 6x32, the Carter YF screws are either 3x48 or 4x40 thread, probably 3x48. DO NOT THINK ABOUT USED SCREWS!

(2) Before you start drilling and tapping, at least read the following procedure, it will save you MUCH grief!

First, heat the throttle shaft in the area of the screw(2), and allow to cool.
Next, use a centering device (a diamond burr works very well) to start a small hole in the center of the broken end of the screw.
Use a number 50 drill (0.070) and drill a hole maybe half way through the screw.
Now, use a DULL number 48 drill with a variable speed drill, and attempt to gouge the drill into the hole in the screw.
Once stuck, continued drilling will cause the screw to screw out the bottom side; AND THE ORIGINAL THREADS IN THE THROTTLE SHAFT WILL BE INTACT!

Once you are ready to reassemble, a HALF DROP of blue Loctite on each screw will prevent them from backing out, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PEEN THE SCREWS! Make sure you center the throttle plate in the bore.

EDIT: I posted before reading the entire thread. This issue is quite common when Dr. Goodpliers works on the carburetor, and does not remove the peening from the reverse side. I have had 4-barrels come in with 8 twisted off screws (practice makes perfect!) I suppose it is possible that one could break without help, but that would be quite rare. Not nearly so difficult to repair as one that comes in with a broken not-so-easy-out stuck in the screw!

Jon


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Jerry and Jon,

Thank you for your advice! I will not use old screws (already purchased new ones). I have everything prepped for reassembly once the screws arrive next week.

I greatly appreciate learning from people smarter than I am! I’m glad to say that I wasn’t the Dr. Goodpliers that put the screws in!

Jon, I attempted to call your shop, then saw you answered my message on here.

Chris


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0