The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Gdads51, 1955 1 Series, 68ironhead, PAUL Berardi, Joe H, 3B, Jon G, JW51), 154 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,103
Posts1,056,188
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1514044 08/22/2023 7:15 PM
Joined: Jul 2023
Posts: 20
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2023
Posts: 20
This is a 1 Ton truck (pretty sure). I know there were options for rear ends & I know it’s not a torque tube, but the question is, can an 8 bolt stock rear handle an 400hP LS swap? I have an ‘87 2wd s-10 rear ready to replace it (more wheel/tire options on the 5 bolt) but is that even doable? Reason I’m asking is most people are modding 1/2tons and 3/4s, not as many 1 ton (non duallys) out there so it’s a little more of a challenge.
Attachments
IMG_7912.jpeg (180.9 KB, 124 downloads)
IMG_7833.jpeg (219.62 KB, 124 downloads)
D1648255-45CB-4019-BEE7-8BD036B2C203.jpeg (195.26 KB, 126 downloads)
IMG_7710.jpeg (280.65 KB, 126 downloads)

Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,454
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,454
Consider that the stock rear end ratio on 1 tons was 5.14:1 while you are deciding to change it out or not.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Jul 2023
Posts: 20
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2023
Posts: 20
I don’t think 5.14 will give me the highway speed I’m looking for. But I see there is a 4.10 gear swap or something out there for the Eaton HO that might give me a little more speed for long haul travel. I guess my next question will be about modern rear end swap options for this 1 ton…

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,884
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,884
EffDubya,

You want to take a look at this very excellent "on-topic" Tech Tip from the main Tech Tip page.

Right on the "upgrade" subject you are asking about! thumbs_up

Dan


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
FF 14 bolt, D-70 and 80 are optional rear axles that have a good selection of modern ratios. Obviously bolt patterns and width must match.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I gave up trying to find a 4.10 ratio Eaton HO and installed a 14-bolt rear from a 1986 C3500. I needed to change the srping perches and shock brackets etc. following the excellent write up regarding this conversion. I have a 1950 3600 so your setup may be different but the pictures look really familiar.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
What are you doing for a bed on it? The weight limit on the S10 axle is much lower and you could consume the greatest majority of your carrying capacity with just that.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
I have a Nova rear end in my 54. But the gear ratio is 2.73 I am told. But it is OK for what I use it for, transportation like a car. It does have a T5 transmission and the original 235 engine.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0