The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TS3600, 55shaker), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,140
Posts1,056,467
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1513852 08/21/2023 5:53 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
has anyone repaired these hinges? it appears that the pin has rusted and the arm is wobbly. thought i could drive the pin out and replace it with a new one or alittle bigger if needed. but the pin is not moving. do i need a bigger hammer or is there a trick? thanks. Heat?

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
There was a really good writeup on rebuilding those in the last year or two, but I can't find it at the moment.

Maybe someone with better search-fu will come up with it while I keep looking.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
Thanks did a search and found a few. big hammer and heat seem to be the fix.

Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,966
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,966
I tried at one time. With the hinges I had ,any repair would
have been difficult and probably damaging. The hinges were just worn out by that point anyway.
Worn out pins was the least of worry. New ones were a better option.


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 226
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 226
I had a similar experience. I started rebuilding mine on the 57 1/2 ton. I couldnt find replacement arms for the upper hinge keepers. I was able to do the pin repair though. I wound up buying repops and had to enlarge the slotted holes and rework the angled portion were it fit in the door pockets. I’d use original hinges if I could fix the keeper mechanism since they fit in the doors much better.
Larry

Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,468
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,468
Classic parts hinge pin worked great for me. It's been 10 years, but I think I pushed the pin out with a BFH after letting it soak in PB Blaster for a while. I didn't have a press. Pins are oversize. You drill the hinge to fit. $4 per pin.

Last edited by Bill Hanlon; 08/23/2023 4:21 PM.

'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
Thought I would update my progress. The bigger hammer is the answer. was able to drive the pin out and found that the bushings were shot and the pin. ordered a repair kit and it came with bushings and pins. needed to open the part that holds the door so the bushings would fit a 27/64 drill did that. pressed the bushings ,put it together and pressed in the pin. good as new.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0