Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (Hotrod Lincoln, greenie-reddy, 1955 1 Series, Otto Skorzeny, Phak1, Guitplayer, Perro, 1 invisible),
166
guests, and
5
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,228 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | Progress on the big '49! Today, my friend Gary (same Gary that helped me get the firetruck) helped me press in the new U-Joints and I was able to get the drive line reinstalled from the transmission on back to the rear axle. It's starting to look like a truck again Man, some of those caps took every bit of 30 tons to go home! Yikes. Regards, John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 | Good to hear your making progress. Hope all the needles are in place 30 tons seems excessive to me. I am thinking you smashed some bearing. Do they move smoothly? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | Yeah for the '49. Sure hope your helper didn't let a needle fall down in one of the cups...a good bench vise will easily seat a cap. Did all the joints flex nicely when the job was done?
Stuart | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | If there were burrs and paint it can take some force. Perhaps the gage is not reeding correctly, because it still sounds like a lot to me. If you were to drop a needle and then force things to go together enough to get the clips in you should see a dent or crack in the end of a cup from the needle trying to get out. I assume you would notice that, and you did not say anything about it, so the u-joints must be fine. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Just when you were feeling good about it here comes a bunch of people to start you worrying. I, too, wonder why it took so much pressure. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 187 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 187 | Hi John,
Congrats on the progress; can't wait to see some pictures of the work.
I agree with the rest of the crew...30 tons to press on the end caps of a U-joint is very excessive. Heck, I've used much less taking old rusty ones off...
Not sure what everyone else does, but I always clean the shaft holes with a round pipe cleaner (like the plumbers use for copper pipe) and then check for any burrs. If any are found I use a small round file to remove the burrs). Then, after a thorough washing and drying I'll spread a thin film of anti-sieze on the shaft holes prior to installing the U-joints. It acts as a lubricant and also makes for easier removal when replacement is required.
Good luck and drop us some pictures!!! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 5,076 Authorized Pest | | Authorized Pest Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 5,076 | John here (Too lazy to log out and back in)
EXCELLENT pointers! A dropped needle or two was what I was thinking, too. But the driveline rotates just fine now. So what I figure was that between a burr or two, and my sloppy painting with the POR-15, the couple of caps that gave us "issue" were just that -- recalcitrant rather than just plain frigged up.
Thanks for the feedback! I'm just glad we didn't crack/break any of the fittings.
Oh yeah, on the last one -- just as we were applying a bunch of pressure, it gave a mighty "POP!!!!!!" and seated. We thought for sure we busted it. We took it out of the mount and looked it all over and found nothing wrong so we figured it was a burr that I had overlooked.
All is well!
Thanks!!! John
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804"Charlie" - The Stovebolt FlagshipIn the Gallery"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | John, Great word....recalcitrant! Stuart | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,409 Former Workshop Owner | | Former Workshop Owner Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,409 | Nothing beats the satisfaction you get from real progress.  I'm starting to feel like Mick Jagger lately "I Can't Get None".  I must have the winter blues, I might have to get me a motivational DVD.  :rolleyes: Well, maybe not. Great to hear your moving right along. Have you started the engine yet? John
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWBIn the Gallery My Flicker Photos! | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | John, No, I have not made the first power up/ground run yet. My big accomplishment for the week so far is the reinstallation of the fuel pump and I put oil in the crankcase. Yeah, I know, but that's how it goes. I'm pacing myself... I still have the manifolds to reinstall, carb, distributor and starter to go. The starter is still at the shop, I haven't remembered yet where I stashed the distributor and I'm waiting on those little rings that go in the exhaust manifold holes... John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | |
| |