Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,702 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 187 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 187 | I've found in a vacant shipyard a 1951 GMC 640, It has a gas engine I can't identify, alot of mods over the years, including a dump bed. It seems to be a ex-Navy rig. My question is, on the plate in the glove box it says "engine 426" I'm assuming it was a 671 Detroit. Yes? The cab is perfect no dents or rust,only missing the right lower engine cover.The tires are newer and not weather checked. No one knows who owns it.I've got the address of the last registered owner from the glove box and search is on.
'36 Tall cab Chevy 1.5 ton, '36 Low cab Chevy 1.5 ton, '53 GMC 2 ton, '51 GMC 640 5 ton, '47 Dodge 2 ton, '42 GMC CCKW 353 6X6.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | I don't think a 6-71 GMC is a gas engine...pretty sure you meant diesel!
Stuart | | | | | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 129 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 129 | The diesel engine in a 640 series should be a 4-71. GMC offered a 426ci gas engine in this model. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 187 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 187 | What the heck does this 426 gas motor look like? I knew the engine in the truck was not the 671 diesel, I was wondering if the original engine was a 671. I just multiplied 6x71 cu.in.and came up with 426. This engine in the GMC is a big v-8 and I know my Chevy's and this is not any Big block late model unit. I'll dig around today and see if I can I.D. it..........Rick :confused:
'36 Tall cab Chevy 1.5 ton, '36 Low cab Chevy 1.5 ton, '53 GMC 2 ton, '51 GMC 640 5 ton, '47 Dodge 2 ton, '42 GMC CCKW 353 6X6.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 | The 426 gas engine was an inline six with a zenith carburetor, so I guess it no longer has the original engine. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 187 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 187 | I just checked the truck out and i cannot I.D. this engine. It has 8 bolts on valve covers, real wide across the intake manifold, front distributer, the runners on the intake manifold dont go to the forward cylinders, they start at the second ones.  I cannot find any company markings on it. The water pump is a huge unit that looks like a turbo casting, strange. Someone out there knows what this is.......Rick
'36 Tall cab Chevy 1.5 ton, '36 Low cab Chevy 1.5 ton, '53 GMC 2 ton, '51 GMC 640 5 ton, '47 Dodge 2 ton, '42 GMC CCKW 353 6X6.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | suggest you take pictures and post a link. use something like webshots,photobucket or a similar site. A 620 down the road has a 471 the 750cannonball has a 671 | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,970 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,970 |
Professional Novice
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 477 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2001 Posts: 477 | this sounds VERY much like a continental engine. if it is, good luck with parts. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 | Yes I would very much like to see some pictures of it. Koolkar may have some thing there. Continentals where a widely used industrial engine in the day. You may also check with the guys at A.T.H.S. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | That plate on the glove box lid, you speak of, is the "GMC Truck Parts Identification" Plate. This plate was installed on all GMC 450 series, & larger trucks. This plate informed you of the type engine, trans., rear axle, springs, brake type, wheel type, etc. of these trucks, as they rolled off the assembly line. So according to this plate, this truck in particular, came off the line, with a 426 GMC 6 cyl. gas engine. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 187 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 187 | The truck did come with the big six as you guys said. I'm in process to pick up a digital camera and join this century as far as pictures goes (i.e. I'm broke right now)My initial gut feel was that it is a Continental as Koolkar has said.It has a 600 CFM vacuum secondary 4 barrel on it. any one know any distigushing marks of a Continental V-8 ?............Rick
'36 Tall cab Chevy 1.5 ton, '36 Low cab Chevy 1.5 ton, '53 GMC 2 ton, '51 GMC 640 5 ton, '47 Dodge 2 ton, '42 GMC CCKW 353 6X6.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | with a regular film type camera even the disposibles when you get the pictures developed you can have them put on cd as well then load them on your computer. cost about 10 bucks at walmart. not as convienet as didgital but cheaper shortterm. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 52 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 52 | So what engine does it have, I guess you figured it out since its in your sig and this is an old topic. Any pics? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy peytonmaterne, I'm sure he doesn't want to talk about it, it turned out to be a big F@#d V8, he drove it home from the boatyard, and has been looking for a GM engine of some type for it ever since. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 52 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 52 | Yikes, that sure is a weird combo, must have been whatever they had laying around. I'm surprised it cleared the steering box. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 | If it is a big Ford V8 the way he described the intake starting at the second cylinder back my guess would be that the ports are stacked on top of one another and it is a 292 Y block. If this is true should be some good trading stock, certainly not a bad thing. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 52 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 52 | I wonder if they reused the original trans. Can a Y-block be mated to an sae flywheel housing? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 187 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 187 | Hey Guys it's been awhile, It's a 534 c.i. Ferd Super Duty with a Spicer 5 speed w/ PTO. No clearance problems at all, just tissue rejection and the smell is terrible. I'm surprised 3B stood up for me.I'll be hauling about 30 family members this Christmas around the niehborhood in the back singing Christmas carols. Later,Rick.
'36 Tall cab Chevy 1.5 ton, '36 Low cab Chevy 1.5 ton, '53 GMC 2 ton, '51 GMC 640 5 ton, '47 Dodge 2 ton, '42 GMC CCKW 353 6X6.
| | |
| |