The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (RLB, Mr Crosswrench, 1 invisible), 109 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,391
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1510135 07/22/2023 8:28 PM
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 81
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 81
So today I learned my lesson about ordering parts just assuming everything is the same instead of taking some measurments and now I have a conundrum.

I orderd some clamps and spacer rings to mount the dayton wheels I purchases to my axles before I install them on my truck so that way I can move them around easier. When I went outside I found out I had ordered to small of a ring which sucks cause now I am out 100 bucks and will have to pay restocking fees. Then I decided to try mounting the fronts and found out the clamps that I orderd were too short and won't work for the 20in rims I have tires on or my 22.5 floater rims and now I am out even more.

So I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of the clamps because I am honestly at a loss for what I should get now I will post some pictures to give a idea of what I am dealing with.
Attachments
PXL_20230722_194326381.jpg (184.53 KB, 101 downloads)
PXL_20230722_194316909.jpg (221.19 KB, 101 downloads)
PXL_20230722_194330537.jpg (179.89 KB, 100 downloads)
PXL_20230722_194246244.jpg (174.02 KB, 100 downloads)
PXL_20230722_194255709.jpg (180.23 KB, 100 downloads)
PXL_20230722_194301286.jpg (391.77 KB, 100 downloads)


1967 Chevy c50 327 w/ sm465 5000Ib front 15k 2 speed rear w/ 22k springs, single axle, hydraulic brakes
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Thick Chevy, Dayton front wheel clamps are basically flat, their center holes are either 5/8" or 3/4". Could you tell us your stud diameter? Do you have a big truck parts supply place close to you?

Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 81
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 81
all of my studs are 3/4 x 10 that is the one thing I measured and checked and actually got right

And yes tommorrow I am going to a junk yard to try and find the stuff I need since no on else carries dayton stuff on hand and this guy has piles of dayton rims so I am going out there tommorrow because I can't afford to buy all new stuff again


1967 Chevy c50 327 w/ sm465 5000Ib front 15k 2 speed rear w/ 22k springs, single axle, hydraulic brakes
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 81
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 81
and this time I am taking a tape measure


1967 Chevy c50 327 w/ sm465 5000Ib front 15k 2 speed rear w/ 22k springs, single axle, hydraulic brakes
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
You could also take a picture of yours to compare to one’s you find in a yard for comparison.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 81
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 81
Or I can drive out there and figure out that I have no idea what I am doing with this stuff and that I just was trying to do it all backwards and I have the right rings. The only thing I need to do now is get some clamps for the front wheels but I am going to try to put the back ones on today.


1967 Chevy c50 327 w/ sm465 5000Ib front 15k 2 speed rear w/ 22k springs, single axle, hydraulic brakes
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 81
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 81

Last edited by Thick Chevy; 07/24/2023 6:37 PM.

1967 Chevy c50 327 w/ sm465 5000Ib front 15k 2 speed rear w/ 22k springs, single axle, hydraulic brakes
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 81
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 81
Yep can confirm the stuff I ordered for the rear 100% works
Attachments
PXL_20230724_221832759.jpg (490.65 KB, 52 downloads)
PXL_20230724_215552434.jpg (400.68 KB, 52 downloads)
PXL_20230724_215704638.jpg (494.27 KB, 52 downloads)


1967 Chevy c50 327 w/ sm465 5000Ib front 15k 2 speed rear w/ 22k springs, single axle, hydraulic brakes
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
One other thing to think about ... Once the truck is operable, you will want to go back and insure you have the wheels tightened down evenly to eliminate wheel wobble.

Most of us do that by keeping the axle jacked up so you can rotate the wheel and tire freely by hand. Next, place a paint can, coffee can -- anything that will stand close to the tire and act as a guide. You will find that as you spin the tire, it will vary as to how close it gets to your guide. Figure out where it is too close and tighten that clamp more. Spin the tire again and fix the next "eccentric." Keep spinning and tightening until you've taken all the wobble out. Sometimes you may have to loosen things a bit and start over if you start getting too tight.

It's best to do this on a hard, level surface.

Its harder to explain than to actually do. Can be slightly time consuming at first but the more you do it, the better you get.


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 81
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 81
That is the plan once I get the axle in since it will be easier to rotate without it wobbling and trying to move the whole axle when I spin it and its definitely going to take a while to learn.


1967 Chevy c50 327 w/ sm465 5000Ib front 15k 2 speed rear w/ 22k springs, single axle, hydraulic brakes
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Another safety tip, if you ever need to remove a rim from the hub, loosen the clamp nuts to the end of the stud but don't take them off. Then hit the sidewall of the tire with a big sledge hammer and the rim will pop...the nuts keep the clamps from being dangerous projectiles as they are under lots of pressure.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 81
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 81
Yep that was one thing I saw researching how to true them was just loosen the nuts a little and then give the clamps a good wack or the tire. I have no interest in a brain injury or face redesign.


1967 Chevy c50 327 w/ sm465 5000Ib front 15k 2 speed rear w/ 22k springs, single axle, hydraulic brakes

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0