Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,091 Posts1,056,393 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 324 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 324 | How do you install the rear door hinge grommets on the barn doors? I placed the grommets in the body and carefully installed the hinges with the aid of soapy liquid. Trying to wrangle the door onto the hinges with the grommet in-place is difficult. Placing the grommet onto the hinge, mounting the door onto the hinge and then trying to jam the grommet into the door is difficult too. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Can't remember having that problem on my 52 panel but I may have hung the doors and then split the rubber at the bottom and put them on that way.....but I just don't remember ever having any problem with them. Good luck, let us know how you make out.....and someone else will surely chime in. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 324 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 324 | A friend came by and held the door up as I tried to coax the hinge through each grommet, we gave up after about 10 minutes. He suggested removing the hinge pin. I think that might be the way for me to get this done. If I split the hinges, I could mount the halves to the doors on the bench. I'd like to avoid modifying the grommets. Now I wonder how to remove the hinge pins, and can they be re-installed on-vehicle? Still open to suggestions, Thanks. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2012 Posts: 414 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2012 Posts: 414 | Sir, I suggest you liberally use some lubrication, which I did, to get the hinges through the grommets, rather than trying to split the hinges by removing hinge pins. Why? Hinge pins would need to be secured after that and I know of no way to do that on mounted doors. Thanks Walter. V/r, Nick | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | Agree with not taking the pins out. I think I did what Alvin did, cut the grommet as neatly as possible and re-install | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,253 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,253 | A little strategically placed super glue on the reassembled cut can make it look seemless again and moisture proof. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2020 Posts: 1,966 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2020 Posts: 1,966 | Don`t mess with the pins. I just had to do this grommet install. I put the grommet on the hinge and installed door(s). Slid the grommet over the door. It will fit better cut.
~ BD. "You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker 1958 Apache Stepside 1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel 1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 324 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 324 | I could not get the grommet into the sheetmetal with the hinge in place, the gap is too tight. I looked at another hinge and saw the pin is pressed in tight, so decided to not go that route. I ended up removing the hinges from the truck, installing on the doors. With grommets in place on the truck and some soapy liquid was able to work the hinged doors into place. The results are acceptable. I started one corner of a hinge in the opposite end of the grommet and slid it down into place so the whole end of the hinge cleared the grommet. As I pushed the hinge in, the grommet tended to curl in. I could push the hinge in some, the grommet would curl in, and then pull the hinge out less than I had pushed it in to get the grommet out again. It was hard to get a grip on the grommet with the soap on it. I started the top hinge, then started the bottom hinge, then worked each one into place. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 96 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 96 | Sounds like you got it licked. I put the grommets on the hinges then worked them into the body. I put dish liquid all over straight out of the bottle. (No water dilution) Slick as snot. Son does body work and has these pvc/plastic tools for glass install and the likes. Look like miniature tire tools. Different sizes. Won't scratch the paint if you slip. Mine went on fairly easy. Takes some finesse. I'm still trying to adjust the right cargo door and have had it off a number of times, getting ready to take off again. Grommets are getting much easier to work with.  Now I leave the grommets in the body and just slide the hinge into it. (2 man job) Richard azcornman | | |
| |