The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (NJC, Shade Baby), 145 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1501993 05/24/2023 8:17 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
What am I looking at for bellhousings? AND, if I wanted to go modern transmission, what am I looking for in bellhousings?

I found a company that makes an adapter for the 302 to a modern automatic, but, with no way to motor mount the jimmy on the sides, I'll have to do a front/bellhousing mount. I don't want 3 points of mount, nor do I want a modern trans hanging off the back of the engine all by its lonesome.

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
What is your goal and which vehicle are you putting it in?

Not sure if it matters without digging deeper, but what year 302 also?

Auto or manual or do you care?


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
The engine is homeless at the moment. Trying to figure out if I have a boat anchor or not. It wouldn't be horrible if I built a Panel around it or, if I could find one, a Canopy Express.

The engine is pretty and all, but if you can't get that power to the rear wheels, what good is it.

I don't know what year the 302 is. It's early enough to be the front mount/bellhousing mount type.

Prefer auto these days but, again, trying to figure out if it is worth keeping or not. Personally, I'll drive anything. Just show me where to start it.

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Did you see what Cleetis had to say a few years back?

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...9126/re-302-gmc-inline-6.html#Post999126

Some good info there if you haven't seen it yet.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Thanks! I believe I had seen that thread.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Buffalo in WA makes an adapter to put a modern GM bellhousing on 302’s. Since GMC flywheel bolt patterns are different than Chevy, can get a Chevy flywheel and redrill mounting bolt holes between the Chevy ones. If one does not need OD, a GM bolt pattern NP 540 series 5 speed transmission works well with a 302. Normal driving use top 4 gears, granny avail@ble for starting with loads.

I put one in my ‘47.1 one ton with transfer case behind.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,457
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,457
I'm not sure Buffalo is still in business. A friend sent him a check to get Buffalo's front disk brake kit about a year ago. After calling once a week or so for months, the voice mail announcement turned generic, sounding like he is no longer building parts. The good news is that he never cashed my friend's check.

Too bad, as Buffalo was building quality parts for relatively low cost.

His ad is still up on inliners international, the only place I've ever seen him advertise.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Ed,

How would the mounting of the engine/trans assembly work?

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Most light weight trans. are designed to hang off the back of the bellhousing which puts the load on the bellhousing rubber mounts. That would mean using the front lower mount on the engine. Don’t want to have 4 side mounts, twists frame. One can always make up a mount for the rear on most trans if any bolts are there.

On my NP-540 series trans, the transfer case was used for the rear mount.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Are you saying front, bellhousing AND trans mount?

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Don’t need the trans mount.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0