The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Bill Trotter, mick53, GIJOE298, Mike'sPlace, Otto Skorzeny, Hush, 1 invisible), 77 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,080
Posts1,056,288
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 38
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 38
Hello All. Instead of rebuilding the one barrel on my '48 6400, I'm considering just buying a new one. Which carb would be the best application right out of the box? ie: Holly? Rochester?

Rezman


Snapoff brand tools
..................................
1948 Chevy 6400
1949 Chevy 4400 (parts truck)
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
I would rebuild the one you have.They are easy to do.Hey Carbking,what do you think.


Wanted Good Woman:
Must be able to cook , clean , sew , tune engines and polish trucks. Must have old Stovebolt and garage. Please send picture of old Stovebolt and garage.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 38
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 38
It's kind of rough, I know it could be probably be rebuilt. But I'm wondering what would be a suitable current replacement.

Rezman


Snapoff brand tools
..................................
1948 Chevy 6400
1949 Chevy 4400 (parts truck)
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
you can get carbs that are professionally rebuilt from oldparts vendors. I got one from American classiics after I screwed up one NOS I got local

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 206
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 206
I'm always leery about rebuilt carbs from big parts venders.(parts stores)I've seen enough of them to turn me off.Seems they have them done by children, as cheap as they can so you get em cheap also.I redo them myself,as then you know when putting them on where the problem is as I know the carb is right.With a parts store rbuild you havent seen inside it so you could have dirt, jammed screws,wrong floathights just to name a few.Tom

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I agree on rebuilding the one you have unless you are good at fabricating. When changing carbs you run into problems with linkage, fuel lines, & air cleaner mounting. Like Grub says about half of the rebuilt over the counter are not any good. The closest thing to matching are the Carter carbs from the same era. Maybe Carbking will come in & help out or you can E-mail him.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
I rebuilt the Rochester on our 6400 and it was easy. If I can do it, you might give it a shot.



Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0